The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turned 13 (1988) my dad bought me a brand new Remington Sportman 78 in .308 Winchester at Laurel Sports Shop in Bedford.

He got a heck of a deal on it. I was looking at it last week and noticed something strange about it. All other sportsmen 78's I have seen were a plain Jane rifle. No checkering on the stock and a very dull finish.

This one has a very nice stock on it, high gloss finish and a monte carlo cheek piece. Never have seen another one like it. It does not have the hinged floor plate for unloading. Could Remington have put a higher grade stock on it instead of a regular Sportsman 78 plain Jane stock. I will try to attach a picture later this week.

I do know one thing, that gun is one accurate shooter for such a great deal. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
25,491 Posts
All the Sportsmen 78s I've seen, were in plain birch stocks.

IIRc, they were only offered for a few years, right after the M788 was dropped? 78s had a dull blue/black metal finish similar to the finish on the M788s.

Sounds like you have one that somebody installed a M700 ADL stock on, as they were walnut, had pressed checkering, cheek piece and a similar finish as BDLs do, at one time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct, the barrel has the dull finish on it. The stock would have to have been installed by the factory, as the gun was bought new in the box.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Maybe an after market stock? I was under the impression that the 78 was a no frills 700 ADL.

·
Registered
25,491 Posts
If it came that way NIB, chances are they ran out of birch stocks before they ran out of barreled M78 actions and may have finished out the production run with ADL stocks, then?

At any rate, you made out on the deal.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
DennyF said:
If it came that way NIB, chances are they ran out of birch stocks before they ran out of barreled M78 actions and may have finished out the production run with ADL stocks, then?

At any rate, you made out on the deal.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I just sold one in 30-06 that was the plain birch stock. I've never seen one with the checkered stock your referring to. I'd have to agree with Denny in that there was a shortage and that you made out on the deal.

·
Registered
25,491 Posts
Identical to the stock on my late 70s vintage M700ADL, right down to the wee brass pin. Later ADL walnut stocks had the fore end tip undercut.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts