The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Remington 1100 slug gun, 12 Ga. fully riffled barrel.
I believe all Remington riffled barrels weather it be an
870,1100 or an 1187 have a 1 in 35 twist.
Question is if your shooting one on these what slugs
are performing the best for you?

·
Registered
876 Posts
In my 870 I have shot everything from Federal to Winchester. With good results at 50 yards. Past that. At 100, not even hunt-able. I mean poor poor accuracy. So not wanting to step in the the 15 dollar boxes of Remington or Hornady, that shoot a pistol bullet. (if I wanted to shoot a pistol bullet I would shoot a pistol) I wanted to shoot a slug, Like the old buck hammers! A huge heavy brush and deer devastating slug. So I bought a vintage roll crimper on ebay for 30.00, and put in an order at slugs r us. Based out of PA. I think near Bedford. Great people to deal with. They ship fast as well. I bought some hulls and 40 hammer head slugs. Rolled them behind 36.5 grains of herco. and Whammy, 5 inch group at 100 yards with open sights. At 50 2 inch group. I shot a 6 inch wide tree with one. Not the best thing to do I know. But I wanted to see what it would do. Punched right through with a massive exit hole. I can't wait to try them out on deer.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I get better accuracy than that with my smooth bore 870.
I shoot 1 1/8oz. brenneke's and have no problem keeping everything inside a 5" bullseye at 100yds. I'm sighted in at 75yds and group consistently at 2.5".

·
Premium Member
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pappybear, I was on the Brenneke web site and they have
several types of slugs out now.
From sabots to slugs to smooth bore recomended to riffled bore only.
I guess I'll have to spend some money and do the experimenting.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
That's the best way to find what will work in your gun.
I spent several days at the range trying all the brands with varying results. Brenneke's were the most consistent for my 870 smooth bore using the mod screw in choke tube.
Good luck Joe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts