The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the Remington R-15, good or bad, as far as an AR15 type platform? Kinda like the looks of them and considering picking one up but am also really smitten with the Ruger SR556. I plan on shooting yotes with this and like the MAX-1 camo pattern on the Remington for this open country out here in Montana, and it is a bit lighter in weight than the Ruger, but the Ruger's gas piston really interests me.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I bought a bushmaster varminter, same gun as the r15. Bushmaster actually makes the R15 for remington. Go on predator masters and there is a ton of info on AR's.

·
Registered
25,521 Posts
I've seen comments from a coupla guys on another sight, that have the R15 Varminter (camo, flat top receiver and heavy barrel) and really like them.

Remington bought Bushmaster a few years ago, is in the process of moving Bushmaster production from Maine, to the Rem. plant in Ilion, NY, if not mistaken?

Still lots of haggles ongoing, over "gas rod" vs piston guns. Haven't really seen any clear consensus emerge yet.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I read all the glorious reviews out there and bought one two years ago. I musta got a lemon. I can't get my R15 to shoot anything. Tried 40-69 gr bullets with several powders. Had the gas block come loose, that didn't help, and I still don't have it shooting under 1 1/2" consistently. I gave up on it when I picked up a super accurate DPMS varminter.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have the version with the 24" triangle shaped barrel, it shoots great (<1"@100 yds). The trigger could be better, other than that I like it, it's a "keeper".

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts