The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up one today in 280 Rem. was wondering who else has this rifle and what caliber ? Also I was wondering if I would put a synthetic stock on it how much weight it would lose ?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have a mountain rifle in the .280. I bought it when they first started producing them in the 80's and it's my "go to" rifle each year even though I have plenty of options. I reload my own cartridges and mine loves 140 Sierra BTSP pushed by 4350 powder. I still have the factory stock on mine since I never thought it needed lightened although I've had it glass bedded years ago. Top it with a Leupold VXII 3x9 and you'll have a fine hunting rig. Let me know if you want to sell it!

Mark

·
Registered
674 Posts
I also have one in 280. I'm shooting federal's with 140 grain nosler balistic tips. I put a vx2 4-12 on mine. I bought mine to hunt the mountains here in PA and I don't think I could have a better rifle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
mine is a 30-06 topped with a Leupold 3.5x10 VX-III
Love the lightness of this gun - would like to own more

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I have the .280 Mt. Rifle with the walnut classic stock. Mine wears a Leupold 2x7 VX2. Great rifle and a great cartridge. The thing does recoil harder than my .300 mag though...

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I have one in .270 with the walnut classic stock topped with a leupold 3-9. It is a great shooter.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I bought mine in 1990 in 270. When remington came out with a synthetic stock version I bought one of those stocks for it, didn't make it any lighter, but then I wasn't scratching up my walnut stock. They were listed as 6.25 pounds bare when they first came out, the only way I think you will lighten it is with a high tech specialties stock that come in at 21ozs but they need painted and a recoil pad.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Had one in 270..Had another in 280...Sold them both because they seem to have a high resale value plus I prefer the old 700 ADL's above just about any other bolt.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I have one in 7mm-08 Rem. I won it at a gubraffle back in2004. Nice rifle has the detachable magazine, which I very much like.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I guess I'll be the rotten egg of the conversation.

I have a Rem Mtn Rifle is .280. I have shotguns that shoot better patterns.

I love the gun, but never use it simply becuz it just will not hold a group.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have one in a 25-06 and like it so much I bought one for my son's 1st birthday, he's now 11 and it will still be a few years until he's able to handle it but I believe it's worth the wait. Like Mark said, I have a bunch to choose from but every year it's the first one out of the safe for deer season.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
My favorite is the .270 with the walnut stock with a leupold 3-9. I have taking this gun bear, deer and antelope hunting. I have 3 other .270's but this is the tightest.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I have an original one in .280. I have stated in other posts what a joy it is to carry. Its first shot accuracy is on par with any other good gun it its class, it will open up a group in rapid firing, but who cares ? For a classic deer rifle in the paws of someone who moves around all day it can't be beat!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Have an older walnut 280 that'll do sub moa with 160 nosler partition handloads. A few yrs ago bought a mtn SS laminate 30-06 that I really liked but I couldn't get it to shoot so I traded it.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Only problem mine ever gave me is it hated Federal ammo. I took it out of the box, went to the range, shot a box of factory loads, brought it home and tightened everything down and cleaned it and it has been a rock ever since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts