The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own one of these 798's? I just bought a new one in a 7mm magnum with a synthetic stock. Haven't had the chance to try it out, yet. Wondering for those who have one what you guy's thought of that particular model.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I have one in 458 Win....Impressed by the finish...High gloss bluing...Nice laminated stock...haven't fired it yet.

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
They were around long before Remington began to market them, so nothing much has changed, except the "imprint".

The last incarnation of the Zastava "M98" sporters before Rem. glomed onto them, were as Charles Daly rifles.

Before that, they were imported for many years by various entities under various names. The rifles themselves, haven't changed all that much from years ago.

Some were imported as completed rifles, some as barreled actions, with various finishes and features per each importers' requests. I believe Rem. chose to stock some of those they brought in?

I have one variant that's marked as a Harrington & Richardson, in 30-06. Probably marketed here 30 years ago, or more?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
As Denny said, the Zastava Czech 98 Mauser action has been around for decades and decades. It's a great action and has most of the refinements a 98 action needs. Some can be a bit rough in regard to working the bolt but they'll smooth up over time or with a bit of 'smithing. Most have adjustable triggers. Can't beat them for the price and as good and solid a 98 action that you can get for the money. I had an Interarms version years ago in 270 Win and now have one of the discontinued Charles Daly's in '06. For a low cost but accurate and rugged deer rifle they're hard to beat.

Muab Dib

1 - 5 of 5 Posts