The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at a Remington model 722 in 257 Roberts, but turned the guy down because before we met, he told me it was a 700. The stock and butt pad are not original and it's missing the rear sight but has a Vari-X III 3-10 on it. The trigger is excellent. I'm meeting him today to give it back to him but figured I see if anyone has any interest. He's in Berks County. It was manufactured in Nov. of 1948.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Winchesterbob, Yeah that was my thought too. I wonder when they started delivering them drilled and tapped? I could have shot it to see how it shot, but since I was not serious enough, I did not. BTW, what does FWIW stand for?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Remington still makes this caliber in the M700CDL.
M722s while scarce, are not rare in my opinion, you
will pay more for condition in this caliber.

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
"For What It's Worth"/FWIW.

M722s in 257 aren't that rare, but I've seen two that I wanted and didn't get. If I recall, they were tapped for receiver sights, as all of them I've seen, were so equipped?

Prices vary. Saw one in mint condition about three years ago at an auction, with a Unertl scope. It had once worn a receiver sight, because the stock was notched out there.

No one seemed to be interested in it, when I looked at all the firearms laid-out in the farmhouse where the sale was. The room was full of M94s and M12 Winchesters, which drew most of the attention. Left before the auction, because someone I knew showed up and wanted the M722.

He later said two guys both wanted it and the price went up rapidly, think it went for close to $600, which was likely more than it was worth?

A Tioga cousin's wife has had one for many years and killed an awful lot of deer with hers, but she won't sell it to me.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
722s were D&T beginning around 1950 when the .222 was introduced....I'd have to look up a more exact date in Lacy's book....

That rifle is not worth $600, IMO, in the condition you describe....Nice, original versions are frequently encountered.....starting in the same price range....

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, quick update. I just gave it back to him and he told me he would consider going into the $400 bracket but since I was still not interested I did not take that discussion anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts