The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to purchase a Model 141 in 35 Remington. Basically a clean, unmolested gun that still wears its iron sights and has normal hunting dings on the stock, but I know it has not seen the woods for probably 30 years. I can get it for a fair price. I was thinking of giving it to my 12 year old son for Christmas. However, I think he would prefer the ability to put a scope on the gun, and perhaps my preference for older firearms might be lost on him. Anyway, do you think it is "wrong" to put a scope on a gun of this vintage? It would have to be drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
If you buy it, it makes it "yours". Do what you want to it. If you want to keep some period correctness, buy an older scope like a Lyman American or an El Paso made Weaver. In all reality, model 141's aren't all that rare. If your main reason to buy it is to give your son a hunting rifle, I say put a scope on it so he has a serviceable hunting rifle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. Bought it. For the price I paid, If it doesnt work out, I could turn around and sell it for more than I paid. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Don't put a scope on it. Because of the way you would have to mount it, the scope would ruin the value of the gun. On top of the drilling you would need to remove the rear sight. I would like to pick up a 141, but all that I can find have scopes on them. My 2 cents is if you do that you might as well use it for a door stop as the scope will sit so high you won't barely be able to touch your face to the stock.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a number of Rem. 141's and a couple have the old Pachmayr side mounts that set scope right over the bore and flip to the side, to use open sights. Check ebay you might be able to find one, that's where I found my last one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your input. If i give it to him, maybe ill let him shoot the iron sights for a few seasons and see what he thinks. I have to say, for me, the gun shouldered very well and the iron sights were easy to acquire for quick shooting, and it would be good to learn on iron sights anyway.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As others have mentioned, it's your gun so do what you want with it. Personally I would not drill it. If you are looking to keep value in the gun leave it as is. Yes 141's are not very rare but as time rolls on, having one all origional is becoming more and more rare which will only add value. If you are looking for a gun for your son to start with and want to put a scope on it maybe look for a used bolt action or something more modern.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you can put a weaver base on it, either 1 piece or 2 piece, and mount a 32mm scope with weaver medium rings just fine and leave the rear site and get a good cheek weld. i have 2 like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts