The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody hear about Remington making ammo in their Illion plant in NY? If they are I'm wondering where they're getting the components, brass, primers, powder and bullets?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Remington ammo (separate from remington arms) has always made most of their own components, so they make them, except the powder, obviously. They did evolve the barnes ammo line when they bought the barnes bullet co. And they use some other folks bullets for certain specialty ammo.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,647 Posts
Remington has had issues with bad primers for years in shotgun shells and centerfires. ( miss fires )
One of the reasons I always leaned to Winchester. An old friend of mine use to call there ammo Hemingtons. :D

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Remington has had issues with bad primers for years in shotgun shells and centerfires. ( miss fires )
One of the reasons I always leaned to Winchester. An old friend of mine use to call there ammo Hemingtons. :D
Never had a single issue with centerfire Remington ammo in nearly 40 years of significant annual range and hunting use..
Rimfire? well, that's a different story... their "Golden Bullets" are garbage.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I've been using Remington Core lok for 23 years in my 30-30 and 270 and never have had an issue. I did buy a 30-06 as a "backup" gun and had 1 shell that would not fire. Only ever shot the gun enough to site the scope in, never have hunted with it.

·
Registered
12,951 Posts
I`ve never had a mis-fire in my Rem centerfire ammo, but i had a mis-fire in my 2 year old Winchester PP 30/06 ammo this past season. I was shocked that happened in modern ammo. None before or after that one mis-fired. Must have been a bad primer?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I`ve never had a mis-fire in my Rem centerfire ammo, but i had a mis-fire in my 2 year old Winchester PP 30/06 ammo this past season. I was shocked that happened in modern ammo. None before or after that one mis-fired. Must have been a bad primer?
I've never had a misfire with center-fire ammo that wasn't the fault of the gun.(light primer strikes) Never had one in one of my guns, only when shooting friends' firearms or trying to fix theirs.
Not saying it can't or doesn't happen.... I've witnessed factory ammo squibs and KB's at the range.... it's just so exceedingly rare I don't lose sleep over it. QC on big brand factory ammo is so good (liability anyone?) that it isn't the weak link in the failure chain.

Now I'll probably worry I just jinxed myself and will have my first true misfire this fall with a 12-point under my crosshairs. (Nah, not worried, I'll be shooting CoreLokts)

·
Registered
9,694 Posts
Never had any problem with Rem ammo.But I did have a major problem with Winnies .17HMR ammo.I had 2 boxes that I bought at the same time years ago and 75% of it would split the necks and swell and I,d have to pry it out of the bore.They would not eject.Called them about it and they did nuthin.I,d thought for sure they would send me some ammo or credit.

·
Registered
11,465 Posts
I've always shot Federal in my centerfires and used Federal shot shells, but I do shoot Rem Accutips in my Savage 220 for bear. I've killed 5 bears with that ammo and it's performed very well, in fact one slug I recovered from a 222 lb bear was the most perfect mushroom I've ever recovered. But I did have what I think was one failure with that ammo.

The guide said he had what he thought must be a 300 lb'r coming in to the bait he put me on. I was in a ground blind 30 yards from the bait barrel which was standing up. At dusk, the bear came in on a trail just as Matt said it would. Well, the evening prior, every bear that had been seen by the hunters had for some reason just walked through the bait sites, never stopping. Having that in my mind, as the bear walked just in front of the barrel I swung the cross hair on his chest and fired. The bear ran up the mountain and out of sight and I just stayed in the blind. When Matt came after dark we looked and looked but found no indication of a hit. I went back to the barrel and there was a slug hole about 3 or 4 inches from the bottom of the barrel; I had shot just under the bears belly. Even though I've made slow walking shots on big game many times, I just chalked it up to black cross hairs on a black bear in front of a black barrel and I missed. In hind sight though, I distinctly remember that the gun didn't go BANG that day, it went pop. I'm convinced that that particular round failed to fully ignite, resulting in the slug hitting way low.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My family has shot the 180 gr soft-point Core-Lokt's out of our 760's for close to 50 years, never a problem, killed a ton of deer with them. But I have read of guys having the misfires. I stopped in the Dunham's in Natrona Heights today and there on the ammo shelf was Remington 180 gr round noses, limit of three boxes per customer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts