The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getin a mossberg 500 fully rifled barrel. getin a 1.5x5 power simmons prodimond on it. I am getin some remington coppersolids to try, Has any one ever used these on deer howdid they perfrom I know every gun is differnt but how did they perform for you?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
save 3 dollars a box and get brenneke K.O 3inch sabots. they perform well, good accuracy and no track job required.
ya ever see a deer do a 360 when hit by a bullet?

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
turkey4life said:
save 3 dollars a box and get brenneke K.O 3inch sabots. they perform well, good accuracy and no track job required.
ya ever see a deer do a 360 when hit by a bullet?
Back with the old BRI sabots when hunting as a kid in NY, I shot a doe head on in the brisket and the slug went all the way thru and out the back ham. Pretty impressive.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The PGC tested the all copper Remington slugs when they hit the market to test for expansion for legality. They really did what they were advertised.

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
Maybe so, but Lightfield 2-3/4" saboted slugs shoot very well in my Mossberg 500 w/rifled slug barrel and are probably much cheaper than the Rem copper solids?

You know I hate to spend a penny more than is necessary, to get 'er done.

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
Rem. Copper Solids (2-3/4") in sabots also run about $15 for five, at Dick's. The Lightfields used to be a bit cheaper, perhaps that changed since the last time I looked?

I stocked up on Lightfields a few years ago, when Dunhams had them on sale and the Rems weren't on sale. So they were cheaper that day.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I jus spent 10.00 a box on them here in newyork. after a 5.00 dollor mail in rebate. so I got a awsome deal jus bought 12 boxes

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
Aren't most of the southern tier NY counties now approved for rifles? Or did they leave Chemung and Broome out of that change?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No they are and Im from stuben. I would rather use a shot gun. I hunt places where there house around and lots of thick woods

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
Just wondered? All of my relatives that live or hunt in Steuben have abandoned their shotguns, now that rifles are allowed there.

Bought my M500 w/rifled barrel specifically to hunt in Steuben Co. some years ago, before NY changed the regs.

Originally, they left Steuben Co. out when rifles were allowed, so I got a good deal on the Mossberg and bought it. Year or two later they finally added Steuben to the rifle counties.

One of my farmer cousins killed lots of deer when he lived over there, with an old Winchester pump, smooth bore slug barrel and one ounce slugs. His dairy farm was right on the state line, south of Troupsburg.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Friend of mine shot a doe witha 3" remington copper solid a few years ago. He hit her low in the chest at about 25 yards. Pretty impressive tissue damage. Not sure I would want to shoot a deer anywhere but through the rib cage with those things.

He switched to the aero tips? last year as they were cheaper and shot the same. Dead deer at sound of bang just the same.

I've been using winchester supreme golds with the 385 gr partition for several years now. Only shot one deer with them. Same deal. Massive tissue damage.

I would expect similar results with most sabot shotgun loads in 12 gauge. They throw a serious chunk of lead down range that is designed to open on deer sized game. I would use what shot the best for the least amount of money.

The cost different can be substancial between different loads...As much as a dollar a shot or more.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Like you said, every gun is different. Copper Solids always shot mediocre groups at best from my gun, while the Remington Core Lokt's shot tight. Get a variety of sabots and experiment, thats the key.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I noticed the Copper Solids expand really well in flesh and bone but not in wood&dirt backstops. I was a little disappointed when digging some out of the dirt at the range because the nose would plug up with wood and dirt and it acted like a solid. It was another animal entirely on live game with impressive expansion.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I was down in MD and shooting 2 3/4" Remington Copper Solids out of a 20 gauge H&R Ultra slugger and the slugs were passing through the deer so fast that they didn't even know they were hit. really accurate for me out of that gun but like everyone has stated they are little more money than other slugs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just picked up some boxes of the 2 3/4 copper solids at dicks last night. On sale for 12.98 and they have a $5 mail in rebate right now.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
i shoot 3" coppersolids out of one of my slug guns and it loves them. it will drive tacks. the other two slug guns shoot brenneke's and love them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts