The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
bought a box of 30-30, 270 at my local Walmart last week 22 bucks for the 30-30, 24 on the 270, This week they had 3 boxes of 308's so I bought 2 for a friend also $24. every day I stop in, they do have more 22's then normal

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
As for "hoarding", I still have thousands of rounds of assorted 22 ammo. Never been a time in my adult life, that I didn't have a couple thousand rounds of 22 on hand. Just one of my few good habits. I'll be able to shoot some of our club's indoor three position 22 matches this winter, because I have enough Auto Match saved up.
Same here, I also like to have a lot of handgun ammo on hand. We do a lot of shooting and I really don't want to have to run around looking for ammo, always been that way for several of us.

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
26,071 Posts
Got an email this morning from Remington ammo, announcing the reintroduction of Peters blue shotgun shells w/PAPER hulls. At the exciting price of $19.95 per box of 25.

That should really give our trap and sporting clays shooters a big boost, eh? :rolleyes:

I may still have some Peters blue 20ga paper shells someplace, left over from the old days. Shot up two boxes years ago at our club and gave one guy who collects such things, a seizure when he saw the empty hulls in the grass.

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
Remington sold their ammo division and I've seen ammo at one of my local gun shops where the quality control was very poor. Irregular seating of bullets was the obvious tell tale so who knows if powder amounts or primers are even good.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
Got an email this morning from Remington ammo, announcing the reintroduction of Peters blue shotgun shells w/PAPER hulls. At the exciting price of $19.95 per box of 25.

That should really give our trap and sporting clays shooters a big boost, eh? :rolleyes:

I may still have some Peters blue 20ga paper shells someplace, left over from the old days. Shot up two boxes years ago at our club and gave one guy who collects such things, a seizure when he saw the empty hulls in the grass.
Wow I may be able to use my Granddads old 20 ga Winchester pump again ... great shooter!!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yankee Hunter, I think you are onto something about quality control. I have a Remington 760 30-06 that I have used for 50 years with the 180 gr SP Corelokt ammo. I have many boxes of older Corelokt ammo over the years that always shot consistent and grouped well. This year I picked up a new box of the Remington 180 gr, and the ammo shot 4" to the left of target center and didn't group well. This year before deer season while sighting in, I shot 2 rounds from a box of shells from 2013, that were dead on, fired 2 shots from the new box, 4" to the left, shot 2 more from a box of 180's from 2009, dead on, shot 2 more rounds from the new box, again 4" to the left and didn't group well.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The same company that owns Federal Ammo bought the Remington Ammo division up last year so I help the quality improves!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Was at Myers in Saegertown this morning picking up some ice fishing stuff and they had a pretty good selection of ammo compared to the last few months. Quite a bit of Remington in 06, 308, 7mm, 300 mag ect., Winchester and Wolf in 9mm and 45 also. Pricing was good considering the times.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm looking for Remington Nitro Turkey loads 12 gauge 3" #6 shot. If anyone knows where to get them I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
26,971 Posts
they did it years ago. a long time before all this specialty stuff came out. its called woodsmanship, get em in close :)

·
Registered
26,071 Posts
25 years ago, a farmer cousin was doing pretty well on spring gobblers and fall turkeys, but never took the smooth bore slug barrel off his 12ga pump. That was when NY was still shotgun only for deer. Asked him why he didn't put the Accu Choke shotgun barrel on that pump for turkeys, said he didn't need to.

Then my huntin' bud figured out what was going on. Some guys that my cousin let hunt deer on his NY farm, switched to different water fowl loads and gave him a mess of 3" steel shot loads. Apparently they worked pretty well on turkeys?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I got an in-stock Email from Nosler over night for some ammo I had been looking for. If anyone is looking for any Nosler it looks like they made a run of some things that were out of stock for a while.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
State College Rural King had those Remmy 1400 round bucket of 22 lr bullets for around $110. First I have seen them. Not sure about the new stuff but the old wasn't very reliable in my 22s.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts