The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Midway has 30-06 ammo in stock as of now. If I had to but ammo I would set up an alert for the online retailers and buy now when/if available.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
buying 500+ rounds of ammo every month or so is not hoarding.....It's called "SURP"

..."Smart Under Radar Purchase".......keeping it under the radar of the wife......normal monthly activity.....no questions asked...smart purchases.
But if one were to make 1 or 2 large ammo purchases a year...they look at you like your some sort of clown.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Actually I did, a few times when i was there picking up things. The comments from the workers was first time gun buyers. They hated it, they had no idea what they were looking for or what to buy, but wanted a gun.
The article said 3.2 million "new" gun owners which is the media's way of instilling a fear level to its readers because individuals can not disseminate and will assimilate to what is written.
The article could have easily said "3.2 million guns purchased between ......." but they didn't. They inserted the word "new" which changed the narrative and instilled that narrative into the subconscious of those who can't see through it.

·
Registered
12,802 Posts
I would be very careful buying ammo at auctions. A friend of mine got some ammo at an auction this fall and it costs him a bear. All 4 shells in his gun from that box were all duds.
As of late , most of it is going high priced . Because of guys wanting it and limited supply.Not buying much , but careful when I do.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
The article said 3.2 million "new" gun owners which is the media's way of instilling a fear level to its readers because individuals can not disseminate and will assimilate to what is written.
The article could have easily said "3.2 million guns purchased between ......." but they didn't. They inserted the word "new" which changed the narrative and instilled that narrative into the subconscious of those who can't see through it.
So the NRA and gun shop workers are lying? Apparently those two sources are considered “media”? I guess people can think and do as they like and in the meantime ammo will only cost more as time goes by, it isn’t going to get any better soon.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
So the NRA and gun shop workers are lying? Apparently those two sources are considered “media”? I guess people can think and do as they like and in the meantime ammo will only cost more as time goes by, it isn’t going to get any better soon.
The NRA, I sure do think they would instill the word "new" because it gives the illusion to those people on the fence post about getting into the shooting sports the little extra bump that if other "new" folks can do it so can they. That equates to more possible memberships for them. NEW memberships....
Don't get me started on the NRA, they ain't no alter boys :devilish::devilish:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Eight Point I couldn’t agree less on the hoarding topic, but I couldn’t agree MORE on the NRA and I’m a life member. No more $ from me until there is a regime change and a no compromise stance on gun control.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
59Willys …..Federal has 5-6 .243 loads currently available direct as of this morning when I was looking

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Norma is also a good place to buy. Get on their email list and they will send sales out, unless some think that $17 or $18 a box with shipping for 9mm is gouging.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I dont think 308 is in high demand but there were plenty of those in stores before, during, and after rifle season. I am willing to bet over 20 boxes in each of the little sporting good stores in my area Pleanty of 223 and 5.56 as well

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
A whole lot of the .308 I’ve seen has been FMJ. I know it’s not across the board but of all the guys I know that hunt .308 would be the most common round that they use so I’d call it pretty popular. I’ve also read the companies are catching up on the NATO standard rds. like .308 9mm 5.56 before they move onto pure hunting rounds. That could be false but I’ve read it more than once.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
A whole lot of the .308 I’ve seen has been FMJ. I know it’s not across the board but of all the guys I know that hunt .308 would be the most common round that they use so I’d call it pretty popular. I’ve also read the companies are catching up on the NATO standard rds. like .308 9mm 5.56 before they move onto pure hunting rounds. That could be false but I’ve read it more than once.
Dang! shipping was 12 bucks, but they had 243's thanks

·
Registered
26,071 Posts
Was in Sportemen's Whse. right before Chr;istmas and in our WM earlier this week. The predominant stash of rifle ammo in both places, was 7.62x51, M80 149gr FMJ. Oodles of it at both places. WM hasn't had any hunting ammo to speak of in months.

Mostly SW had magnum stuff, like 375 H&H and a few others. Maybe a few boxes of 223/5.56?

WM no longer stocks anything in handgun ammo or 223/5.56. Two years ago I scarfed up several boxes of 150gr 30-06 WW Power Points there for my cousin that looks after camp, for $15 a box. He prefers that, or Core Lokts. If he needs any next year, I'll reload him some myself.

As for "hoarding", I still have thousands of rounds of assorted 22 ammo. Never been a time in my adult life, that I didn't have a couple thousand rounds of 22 on hand. Just one of my few good habits. I'll be able to shoot some of our club's indoor three position 22 matches this winter, because I have enough Auto Match saved up.

·
Registered
12,802 Posts
The Walmart off Roseville Road outside Lancaster never seem to have any ammo and now they have air guns or BB guns in the ammo case.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts