The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the remington super mag. I currently have a mossberg 535 and was looking at the 870 as an upgrade.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Mossberg but every turkey I have killed was with my Super Mag.

If you get a good choke and good ammo, it is devastating on turkeys. All I ever use is 3 1/2" shells and I can tell you that they will rock you. Make sure you don't have your thumb wrapped around the top of the butt stock or your nose will be sore. (trust me, I know...)

I have had great experience with mine using Remington turkey chokes and Rem. Nitro Turkey loads in six shot. Good patterning gun with serious knockdown power in 3 1/2". Furthest turkey I have ever taken was at 52 yards.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Wouldn't trade mine for anything. Get a good choke, and some good ammo and you will be all set.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I have owned two different 870 super magnums. IMO one of the best out there.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
One of the best going at any price. I have one with the Sure Shot stock and it did the job every time in needed it to. It patterns as good as my best 10ga handloads.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They are cannons!!!!! Wouldnt trade mine for nothing.i got first one they made in 1998 i think it was..try a primos jellyhead and magnum blend hevi shot..good luck this spring

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
mfuff said:
One of the best going at any price. I have one with the Sure Shot stock and it did the job every time in needed it to. It patterns as good as my best 10ga handloads.
That about sums it up. I've had two 10 gauges and a Mossberg 835, plus I've shot some gobblers with an old Ithaca pump using 2¾" shells and my dad's old Ithaca double. My 870 ShurShot beats them all. I think it's better than the Mossberg 835 on three counts:
1. A far more comfortable stock, which means I can hold it longer and control recoil better.
2. A higher quality build (my 835 was effective, but a rattletrap.)
3. Most important, the design of the 870 ShurShot Super Mag apparently incorporates a longer forcing cone, which puts less stress on the shot cup as it travels down the barrel, and results in better patterns.

I use the standard turkey choke and Remington #5 turkey loads, and it patterns so well at 40 yards that I think it would knock 'em over at 50+ yards without any problem -- although I've never patterned it at 50 yards and try to call gobblers within 30 yards. At 30 yards, the swarm of #5 shot nearly takes his head off.

Steve.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Agreed but the over bored to 10 ga barrels on my 835 and 935 pattern better then any of my shotguns.

Although I barely use them anymore at 30 yards or under it doesnt matter. I usually use the 870 or Nova.

Everyday Hunter said:
mfuff said:
That about sums it up. I've had two 10 gauges and a Mossberg 835, plus I've shot some gobblers with an old Ithaca pump using 2¾" shells and my dad's old Ithaca double. My 870 ShurShot beats them all. I think it's better than the Mossberg 835 on three counts:
1. A far more comfortable stock, which means I can hold it longer and control recoil better.
2. A higher quality build (my 835 was effective, but a rattletrap.)
3. Most important, the design of the 870 ShurShot Super Mag apparently incorporates a longer forcing cone, which puts less stress on the shot cup as it travels down the barrel, and results in better patterns.

I use the standard turkey choke and Remington #5 turkey loads, and it patterns so well at 40 yards that I think it would knock 'em over at 50+ yards without any problem -- although I've never patterned it at 50 yards and try to call gobblers within 30 yards. At 30 yards, the swarm of #5 shot nearly takes his head off.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My little brother has one of the newer 870's, the 3-1/2" Bone Collector edition they sold at Dicks about two years back. He has problems getting his to cycle correctly, but since it's not consistent we're not sure of where the problem lies. We've also noticed that the camo finish is pretty much junk... in the two years he's owned it, the forearm and grip are almost white where the finish has worn off already. Looks 10 times worse than my Charles Daly, which I've had and used hard since 2003. It seems to shoot well, although he's always too busy chasing girls and shooting groundhogs to take the time to put it on paper to see exactly what it does. He's put down a few turkeys and dumped a bunch of geese with it, although the cycling issue makes follow-ups on waterfowl a guessing game at best.

I will say though, his Remington Sportsman (the predecessor to the 870) is one fine, well-built gun. Seems like I've been hearing a lot of bad stuff about Remington's new production though.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I bought my 870 Super Mag 5 years ago and couldn't be happier with it. The one issue that I have and it may just be me is every time I have shot a turkey, the ejecting shell has gotten stuck. It has only happened two or three times while patterning the gun, so there is a good chance that I am just short pumping after my shots. Other than that, great gun, kicks like a mule with 3 1/2" mags, but when you're shooting at a bird, you'll never feel it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I use to own one only had a21inch barreo on it. and with just the factory choke it came with. at 40 yards wit a flite controll number 6 i got 90 pellts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought the 870 Supermag in '01. The Realtree Advantage Timber finish still looks like it did when I bought it. I recently bought a Remington R3 replacement recoil pad, and now I barely feel the recoil when shooting the 3.5s. Devastating shotgun. Love it!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts