The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a reasonably priced slug gun. I know both the 870 and Mossberg can be had in the $250-350 range. I know this is going to get a mixed bag of responses, but that's what I want - opinions on both.

Are they both USA made?

If there are other comparable guns I should consider, please recommend. I prefer pump guns over single shots and dbl barrels.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I hate the safety on the mossberg. I own two 870 slug guns and an Ithaca deerslayer. I wouldn't even think about buying or using anything but what I have.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
I just got a remington 870 with a cantilever scope mount back in january and It is by far now my favorite shotgun.
the mossberg with a cantelever is also another good choice. basicly its whatever one you like best out of the two.
witch ever one you choose I recomend topping it off with a nikon 7X32 shotgun scope.
my barrel is a 22 inch barrel and it is less painfull to shoot as a shotgun with an 18 inch barrel . another advatage of the remington shotguns is there new recoil pad that comes on them.

advantage of mossberg is the safe is on top instead of on the trigger guard. and also mossberg holds six rounds five in tube and one in chamber. remington only holds 5. four in tube and 1 in chamber.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have a M0ossberg 835 with rifled barrel, scope and have tried various ammos, but still not satisfied with its accuracy. I have heard that the Ithaca Model 37 "Deerslayer" is the most accurate slug gun on the market, because the barrel is integral with the action.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
stoolshooter said:
I have a M0ossberg 835 with rifled barrel, scope and have tried various ammos, but still not satisfied with its accuracy. I have heard that the Ithaca Model 37 "Deerslayer" is the most accurate slug gun on the market, because the barrel is integral with the action.
is your scope mounted on the reciever, if so get a cantilever mount barrel for it so the scope is hooked on the barrel and that will help alot.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
here's my rundown on the 870 and the model 37. I have the heavy contour 23" can't. barrel on my 870 super slug. that gun will shoot VERY tight groups at 100yds. I shoot 3" coppersolids out of it and have never had a jam or any other problem. I've put that gun through a rough life, and its still dead on as of 4 hours ago when I shot it. you can't get a better all around gun. I also have an 870 with the 20" smootbore for when I'm pushing thickets. its great to be able to change barrels in a matter of seconds. the Ithaca is a cabinet queen.lol its very light, but kicks like a stinkin mule. the bad part about the older model 37's and 87's is mounting a scope if you want to. I couldn't get the eye relief right with the scope mounted to the rear sight base. I'm now just using it with open sights. that is the only complaint I have about that gun. lightweight, quick cycling, and deadly accurcy makes it a great gun.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I have no complaints about my 870, but I other than requalifications at work I have never shot a Mossberg shotgun, so I really have no basis for comparison. But based on my limited Mossberg experience, I agree with Junior about the safety.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I made a trade with Moss a month or so back and got a Mossberg 500 in the deal.Moss threw in a smoothbore slug barrel and I was appreciative.I really didn't plan on using the slug barrel but my daughter Britt decided yesterday that she wanted to hunt bear with me.Britt has a Ruger 77 in 6.5x55 and her handloaded 120 gr ballistic tips were not gonna cut it.Hmmmm I wonder what the slugger will do.A quick trip to crappo-mart and 4 boxes of slugs in hand I was off to the range after a shot at 25 put me on paper I shot at 50 yards and the gun put 5 shots in 2 1/4 " with 3 of them in one inch! Wow,I now have a slug barrel on my wish list.I am using my 338 but I actually feel like Britt is better off than me,we hunt some really thick stuff and the 1 oz slug is absolutely awesome.I was able to recover 3 slugs from the berm and they were all intact and perfect shrooms,and these are the cheapo Remmy sluggers.Cool.Uhhh what was the question again?Oh I have no problem with my Mossy,never have.
JIM

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
the ithaca will hold 3 shells, 870 holds 5, and mossberg holds 6. we don't have a shell capacity limit down here during deer season, not sure about the rest of the state.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's funny you guys should say that about the Ithaca. I have a Model 37 with 28" modifed barrel. It "used to" shoot slugs great. I was able to hit a clay bird at 100 yds with that barrel and Winchester rifled slugs. Not every time, mind you - but 4 or 5 out of 10. I hadn't hunted for almost 20 years and had it out today. Now it shoots consistently low and right. At 100 yards, it's about 8" low and a foot right. I had a 4 shot 2" group at that position at 100 yds. Even buckshot was low and right. I don't know what, but something happened to it. It's been in a hard case the whole time, and never mis-used or abused. I just can't take that gun out like that. No scope to compensate or adjust.
Ethically. I can't take that gun deer hunting like that.
If I could find a deerslayer barrel, I'd buy it - but I only have a week. There are a couple on Gunbroker, and the barrel alone is almost the price of a whole new gun.

I even double checked the barrel cap and screw, as well as took the barrel off and put it back on, with no difference.

Oh - I do shoulder lefty, so that's another reason I like the 37. It's bottom eject, and I've gotten used to reaching around the trigger guard to put the safety off. An ambidextrious safety would be nice, but I can't buy a gun on that alone. I do realize I'd have shells ejecting across my face with the Rem or Mossberg. Not entirely desirable, either.

Oh - yes - the Ithaca DOES kick like a mule, and it has no recoil pad.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I find the safety on the 500 to be more like the rifles I have shot vs. the 870 safety. I also prefer the bolt release location on my 500 better than the 870 but for reasons that have NOTHING to do with deer hunting. When using my tactical stock, I don't have to contort my hand to release the bolt and cycle the gun. I just drop my thumb to the release and rack it. with the 870, i feel like I have to unmount the gun, contort my trigger hand, cycle and remount.

I also like how loose and rugged the action is on the 500. it will cycle full of mud and sand. I don't know if the 870 will, but when the dust settles and my bird doggin butt has been thru the thick stuff, i don't have to wonder if my gun will cycle. it's never failed once and has had ALOT of ammo thru it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jayd4wg,

Where is the slide release on the 500? On the back of the receiver? I'm not familiar with the Mossberg, but I thought the switch I saw in pics was the safety, because I've read they have an ambi safety. If that's the slide release, where it the safety?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Leaning towards the 870 now, since I have read they made a true left-handed 870 model, but I'll give the Mossberg a good shake-down at Cabelas tomorrow night. I also posted a wanted ad here for a model 37 deerslayer barrel.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
good luck with the Model 37 barrel. hopefully you can find one cheap. if not, go buy an 870. you will never find a tougher gun PERIOD. mine fell of my fourwheeler when I was headed up the mountain turkey hunting. nothing but a little dent in the stock, still shot perfect. I use mine to beat through bushes and branches. and the 870 has a recoil pad. lol my deeslayer doesn't have one and geeze does it wallop you. if you have a scope on a mossberg, the safety can be hard to get to. I can work everything on my 37 and 870 without taking my hand of the trigger area. what barrel are you looking for? I have the 23" heavy on my 870, but man is it expensive. I got mine when it first came out as a "super slug 870". the 20" cantilever works just fine.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have a mossberg combo gun in 12 gauge that had the removeable comb on the stock, and a rifled cantalevered scope mount. It's a good shooter. I think I paid around $290 for it about 8 years ago.

My buddy just got the same gun in 20 gauge this year, and I like it a lot better than mine. It's lighter, and doesn't kick any hader than say a 270. His came with a cheapo 2.5x scope mounted. I would have changed it, but he seems to like it. We shot several different slugs with it, and most loads will touch.

Another friend of mine had the 870 combo gun with a rifles barrel with open sights. It works great for walking through the briar infested creek bottoms. It's lighter than my mossberg. It shoots pretty good with the factory open sights too. The trigger is better, and it feels like it's better made than my mossberg. With that said he paid $100 more for his than I did for mine.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just went to Dicks and looked at what they have. They have a Mossberg field/deer combo for $259 with a scope. The Remington Express 870 with field barrel is $249, but then I'd have to buy a slug barrel. Cabelas advertising Rem 870 slug gun for $299. Maybe, if I'm lucky, they'll have a lefty gun.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
500=Junk 870= awesome, dependable, firepower. You can break down an 870 in like 35sec. and reassemble in 60. When you take a moss apart all kinds of pieces fall out. Overall 870s are where its at. IMO, I would buy a nice used 870 vs the "new" 870s. Quality is far better from an older model.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have also owned and shot both....many times. The family and I get together and shoot bluerocks on Sundays (We own 52 acres).

I've seen Remington Model 870's come and go. But the lads with the Mossbergs just keep on breaking the rocks.

By the way, I have a Mossberg Model 500 ABR made in 1962. That gun darn near shucks itself and the safety is where it belongs, Right under your thumb.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts