The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everyone experience is with these older rems. I recently purchased one for a cheap price and was wondering if it was worth messing with for a predator rig. I like the 243 caliber just windering if you guys had any experience with these guns good or bad.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I know you can`t get parts for them. My Brother has one in .44 Mag. The extractor broke and can`t find a replacement. My Wife`s uncle has one in .308 and the Bolt stop broke in His. He has to watch that the Bolt doesn`t come out of the Gun when needing a second shot. I had one in 22-250. Couldn`t get it to shoot more than a 3in.,100 yd group. I sold it. But, they sure are a handy and easy carrying Rifle.

·
Registered
25,784 Posts
Parts can be had:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/remington/boltCF.html

And Gun Parts Corp. (Numerich), has been making new M788 magazines for several years.

I have four of them, two in 22-250. Both of which will shoot three shot groups almost touching, with 55gr Btip loads. The one in 222 will shoot almost any load into less than an inch.

The one in 243 is almost as accurate with 55gr Btip loads, likes 100gr loads even better.

BTW, broke the bolt stop in the first 22-250 I ever owned (1978), years ago. Since it likes them Btips seated out close to the lands and they won't fit in the magazine, just use it as a single shot for woodchucks. Never did bother to replace the bolt stop.

Replaced the bolt stop in a relative's M788 last year. Main reason they break, is because the bolt will slam back against them if ya ain't careful when ya pick them up with the bolt partially open and no rounds in the magazines.

Since they have rear locking lugs, nothing to stop the bolt when it slides back, but that little pin.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
As always in these Model 788 threads, I'll be the sour grape...After years of reading about the "hidden accuracy gem"...The Model 788, I went to Gunbroker and bought a pristine Model 788 in 243 Win., wishing to use it as a long range groundhog rifle....

After extensive load development, I still couldn't get anything to stay below 1 1/2" consistently, so I sold the rifle...I was so miserable over this gun !...Maybe it was just a lemon...Not sure, but I just sold a Model 788 in 44 magnum that shot as good as that 243 !.....

I may buy another someday, but it will be for nostalgic reasons if I do.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
My stepdaughter had a 788 .243 that her dad had given her. I shot it but I remember not being impressed.

·
Registered
25,784 Posts
My 243 is the least accurate of all the M788s I own, but still acceptable. The one I repaired for a cousin's son, shoots about like mine does.

One in the same "diameter" I have shot that is a keeper, was the 6mm Rem. a buddy bought for his wife back in the late 1960s. Forget the load (97gr bullets, IIRC), but that critter could put three in almost the same hole, rested at 100 yards. Probably still does? Recall he paid about $90 for it, new.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i love my 788 in 308 shoots alot better then the 700 i had my dads got one in a 243 shoots just as good as my 308 if only i could find one in a 243 for a good price

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Denny F,
Thanks for the Link! Been looking for parts for the .44 everywhere. Now, If I could just get the .44 off my Brother!!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have shot a bunch of 788's over the years. And they all shoot reasonably well. Reasonably well being defined as 1 MOA. OR just slightly lower or higher. More than minute of deer accurate. And very suitable for 300-400 yard varminting. The only real problem with them was that they shared the same(almost) trigger with its brethren rifle the 581. Most of the triggers were pretty bad and needed work done by a competent smith-in other words not adjustable.

Someone above mentioned not being able to shoot sub 1/2 MOA. Not to start an argument but I thing that is asking way too much for this inexpensive rifle. Or any other regular production rifle.

The prices on them have taken a pretty good jump in the past few years. But there are still some good ones to be found. I know If I had a choice between a 788 for $300 or $350 and a Savage inexpensive rifle(or any of the other mfrs.) for any price I would definitely take the 788. And they can still be found for $350 or less if you shop.

I know, I just bought a LNIB 781 for $320 to my door and it was LH. Tom.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I traded my 6mm remington for my T/C PH. Best deal I ever made. Mine was very accurate, but it felt junky-ish to me. Numrich gun parts(egunparts.com) has lots of parts you can buy. jmho

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
My old one in .22-250 shoots sub-moa when I do. Have one in 6mm that I have not fired yet. Anyone wanting to sell theirs cheap should contact me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a 788 carbine in 243. great shooting gun. My grandfather has a 788 in 22-250 and it is also a shooter. it is definitly worth setting up for a good pred/varm/deer gun especially if you got it for a good price. i would never trade my 788 for anything.

·
Registered
25,784 Posts
IIRC, in their last few years of production, barrel lengths were 18" (or maybe it was 18.5"?) for the 7mm08, 308 and 243. Big mistake to shorten the barrels on the 243, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'm with Hogg. I've shot some 788s that were good shooters and others that were fair.

I never bought any when new as the price between the m700 and the poor sister 788 wasn't enough to move me off the m700.

Remington brought it out to compete with the savage 340, which was the then lowest price bolt rifle. The 788 was certainly more costly and a better design. I suspect Rem lost money on them but soon after Savage dropped the 340 Rem dropped the 788.

I'm amazed at the cult following over the last 10 years of the 788 and the prices these things sell for today.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
To me, the 788 is still a much more solid gun than many of the "plastic laden" pieces we see offered today......Cheap for its day perhaps, but still a solid value, and worth the high prices they command.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i would consider trading it for something a little lighter in 243 7mm08 or 308 if anyones interested thats my only complaint is that its a little heavy but it sure seems solid

1 - 20 of 30 Posts