The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if someone could give me a ballpark figure on what a left handed Remington 788 6mm might be worth in 95% condition, with an extra clip and a couple boxes of shells?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys! the reason i was asking was my dad is trying to buy back one that he sold to a friend about 20 years ago so that he could buy my brother and me our first deer rifles. His friend supposedly had it valued at $1000, but was willing to sell it back to my dad for $800, $350 more than he paid for it. I guess there is some sentimental value to my dad, but I'm sure he doesn't want to be take across either.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Some friend your dad has.The guy should sell it back at the original price and be happy your dad lent him a gun for over 20 years.My best friend would have gotten the gun for free.Been there done that for him and him for me.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
bigbear said:
thanks guys! the reason i was asking was my dad is trying to buy back one that he sold to a friend about 20 years ago so that he could buy my brother and me our first deer rifles. His friend supposedly had it valued at $1000, but was willing to sell it back to my dad for $800, $350 more than he paid for it. I guess there is some sentimental value to my dad, but I'm sure he doesn't want to be take across either.
Some friend!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've had a lefty in 6mm for nearly 40 years. The last one I saw sold in 95% condition went over $600 about a year ago. They'll bring a bit more than a 308. Original clips in 6mm were going for up to $100 a couple years ago, but some aftermarkets have seemed to appear below $50 lately, bringing the price down. Your dad's friend isn't one if he wants more than $600 - $625.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Nice friend. I would just sell it back to him for what I paid him for it. If the friend was short or came across some hard times then I would just hand it to him and tell him not to worry about it.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
My friend has a gun shop and he gets 500.00 for the 308 and 222 is all i seen. Probably depends on location or how bad someone wants one. Speaking of dads, i had to put my dad in a nursing home last year for alyszimer. he had 2 guns 1 is a 870 16 gauge bought around 1970 and other is a 788 in a 308. he bought the 308 in 1971 with scope for around $99.00. he only hunted with it for around 4 years until i was old enough to go on my own. he had a hard time getting time off from work and really didnt have the interest after he taught me. i know have this 99% 788 in 308 that i will keep and cherish forever. Money couldnt compensate those years hunting with my best friend.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
M788s in 6mm generally demand a slight premium over ones in 243 or 308 and the southpaw version, a bit more than the right handers.

M788 prices seem to vary an awful lot, but something in that cartridge, configuration and condition, probably $450-$500 or so? That price the guy wants for it is plain nuts, especially given the circumstances.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
being both a 6mm rem and a lefty means on a gun shop shelf or gun show, figure $600-750 with the 95% and extra clips.

But I agree, not much of a friend.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Did they really shoot that good to be so pricy? i never worked a load for my dads but might give it a try this summer. basicly kind of no thrills and a little on heavy side.

·
Registered
10,679 Posts
outofstater said:
Did they really shoot that good to be so pricy?
My .223 was exceptional and I'm very sorry I sold it.

One day at a range I shot next a guy who had the same rifle / caliber and we were trying to outshoot each other by shooting small groups...both rifles were shooting in the 1/4" range.

They are great rifles.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
i had a 22-250 and a 223 back in the late 70's but never grouped them. Always heard they shot so good that they hurt sales of 700's is why they quit making them. im hoping this summer to work with my dads.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
M788 prices have been "all over the place", for the past 25 years or more. Can recall seeing some at gun shows years ago, that were priced far higher than what I commonly found them for at small gunshops.

Now and then I still see one in good condition, priced at $400 or less, in common chamberings like 22-250 and 243. Picked one up in 243 (22" bbl) a few years ago for $300. Nice metal, crappy original stock. It's a shooter.

My 22-250s have 24" barrels and are both very accurate. Both have reworked triggers. One is the only new M788 I own, bought in 1978 for $130 or thereabouts.

30-30, 44 mag and about any that are in the left hand version, fetch higher prices than run of the mill righties in common chamberings and longer barrels. Right now it seems that 222, 223 and 6mm Rem are sought after?

Some like the later 18.5 barrel versions (243, 7mm-08 and 308, IIRC) and they also seem to command a good price?

Best thing happening now, is that there are new replacement mags available, because for years the originals in good condition were over priced and fairly scarce in many areas.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
A couple of older guys that I know say that the 30-30 and
44 magnum didnt sell well at all when they were offered.
Now they are priced sky high.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts