The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience with this gun? I am looking to buy one in the .243. Is there a different .243 I should check out under 450 bucks? I want to use it for coyotes and for my kids in the future for deer.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
in my opinion you can do much better than the 770 for under $450. look at the Savage Axis, Marlin Xs-7 and Ruger American. All 3 are heads and shoulders above the 770.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BONZy said:
in my opinion you can do much better than the 770 for under $450. look at the Savage Axis, Marlin Xs-7 and Ruger American. All 3 are heads and shoulders above the 770.
Cool. Which one of those that you mentioned is best? Also, is a 25.06 a better choice? I want a gun to shoot coyotes and deer that won't kick too much for a 10 year old or a female. I also want a caliber that has common ammo and at a decent price.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
+1. The 770 is pretty rough, bulky and you're stuck with it. Can't use it to build on later, no aftermarket triggers or stocks. The axis is a base model Savage but it's light and handy, you can swap out an aftermarket trigger and get a decent scope... all for less than $450.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The local Wal-Mart has the Ruger American for$357.00. Havn`t heard anything bad about them. My G`Duaghters Boyfriend shoots a770. Clunky and the Bolt is stiff but it does shoot good!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ron pa said:
The local Wal-Mart has the Ruger American for$357.00. Havn`t heard anything bad about them. My G`Duaghters Boyfriend shoots a770. Clunky and the Bolt is stiff but it does shoot good!
Come with a scope?

·
Banned
462 Posts
Based of your post here and in the predator hunting thread I urge you to check out Grice's Christmas Flyer, Pg. 14....the Savage Axis is really your best bet for $309.99 with a 3-9x40 scope!

You can get it in 223, 22-250, or 243. In my oppinion if you want yote gun primarily and be fur friendly, since you already have an 06, but you still want this gun to be able to take a deer when the time comes for a child/female get the 22-250! As I said in your predator hunting thread, the .243 is best deer caliber of the 3 but is very rarely a fur friendly caliber, the .25-06 is going to be even less fur friendly. The .22-250 is a great coyote caliber, among the best, and with a nosler partition or bullet of the likes your going to drop deer no issue either!

http://issuu.com/digitalwires/docs/grice...&mode=embed

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Funny you ask about the 770. I got one as a gift from my father the other day(we do our Christmas early). Mine is a 7mm-08, I took it to the range this morning for grins, I didn't expect much with the no name scope, and their bore sight was 2 feet high, and 3 feet to the left,lol. after I got it on the bull at 100 yards, I cleaned it, put a fouler through it, and tried a 3 shot group. Three shots of factory winchester ammo got me a 1.114" group. I think if I play around on the loading bench, I can reduce that alot. Once I put good optics on it, and work up a good load, I'll put it up against any hunting style rifle out there.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Re: Good .243?

Very similar. The Ruger may have a little better fit and finish, but Savage is putting out some very accurate guns.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Good .243?

bownut said:
Very similar. The Ruger may have a little better fit and finish, but Savage is putting out some very accurate guns.
I might spend the extra cash for the American since Dicks doesn't have the Axis I wanted in stock.

·
Registered
377 Posts
puma4440 said:
I'll put it up against any hunting style rifle out there.
Surely you can't be serious. Remington 770 are the about the worst centerfire rifle out there.Yes accuracy is important and the ones I shot shot fine.Fugliest rifle made terrible trigger roughest working bolt on any bolt I"ve ever used

·
Registered
543 Posts
Any thought on trying used. I just got a BEAUTIFUL medel 700 with a bushnell scope for $350. I have a Winchester 70 with a scope on it for $390. I imagine there will be a lot of hunting rifles being traded in on ARs and AKs. Think twice about purchasing from Dick's too. They are not the most gun friendly corporate environment. They treat them like a necessary evil, frankly.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
wild willy said:
puma4440 said:
I'll put it up against any hunting style rifle out there.
Surely you can't be serious. Remington 770 are the about the worst centerfire rifle out there.Yes accuracy is important and the ones I shot shot fine.Fugliest rifle made terrible trigger roughest working bolt on any bolt I"ve ever used
Yes I am serious...though I forgot to say hunting style rifle "in it's class", that was my fault. I don't care for any synthetic stock, I think they're all ugly, and it is my first one, and I had serious doubts about it, but the truth of the matter is it will shoot. Any half brained monkey can smooth up a trigger and bolt. They are like the early savages, they need some tlc before their true potential is reached.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A lot of people can't or won't work on their guns.Till you spend the money to fix the trigger and smooth up the bolt you could have a much better gun .Maybe a half brained monkey can't tell the difference between a decent gun and a POS

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
There is a difference between an accurate gun on the bench and a gun that will won't give you trouble while hunting. The 770 is as good as the cheap old military bolt guns like the Moisin Nagant. Sure, it'll shoot and kill a deer, but it's bulky, heavy, and the bolt is stiff and sloppy. If we're talking about a $100 Nagant, that's fine. If we're talking about a new $300 gun made by a reputable sporting arms company, it falls terribly short of the mark. Buy any of the alternatives in it's price class; it's the dog of the bunch.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
770= J U N K ! Who on earth would justify buying a brand new gun with the understanding you have to put serious time and effort into it to make it function properly ? Not to mention the cost of labor ! A trigger job and bolt lapping is way beyond the ability of most novice gun owners. Its the "new" Remingtons fault for producing sub-standard trash and marketing it as a cheap alternative. I could probably find out, but I will bet it costs them less than $150 to produce that kayak paddle. You won't see a true rifleman using that for anything else but a lamp ! MHO, of course !

·
Administrator
39,070 Posts
BONZy said:
Agree!The remington budget rifle is just not as well made as these rifles!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts