The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own a Rem 770?
I'd like to hear some of your opinions.
I was thinking about a youth model for a new hunter to start out with. I've read mixed reviews from great to horrible. Main complaints are the bolt not being smooth and the scope that comes with it isn't the greatest.
I would more than likely change the scope anyways, and wouldn't be expecting the bolt to be smooth as butter, plus I don't think a youngster would really know the difference.

And for the price I wouldn't mind it getting beat up a little bit. Mainly concerned with the accuracy department.

I would be buying one in a 243

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not going to have the most detailed review as I simply borrowed a 770 from my friend, but the bolt was very difficult to lock in. Honestly took me about 5 minutes of fiddling with it in bear season to load a bullet. One time it would be ok and the next it simply didn't want to lock down. This was a new gun that was only shot at the range to sight in, so maybe it just needed broken in. I've been looking at going with the Savage Edge. I've heard pretty good reviews on it, and its reasonably priced as well. Hopefully whatever you choose it works out for the new hunter.

·
Registered
513 Posts
sgt....I only had one and not a very good experience the accuracy the best I could get with mine was inch and a half at 75 yards. the bolt was weird and almost jam if pushed to hard or too quick. the scope was cheap but that wasn't a big issue at all. it was one of the older 770's not anything recent. I sent it down river for 125.00. Just my opinion and experience that they aren't very good. If I were to choose among youth rifles.....I have purchased 6 for my girls all in 243's I'd keep looking. Once again my opinion.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
You would think that Remington would just make a cheapened version of the Model 700, Something like the Model 78 that was out around 10 years ago.Birch stock, plastic sights, whatever as long as the Model 700 barreled action is there.

·
Registered
852 Posts
A buddy of mine won one a year ago just before he had a vehicle accident on duty and messed up his back. He was unable to sight the gun in and asked me to do it for him. I didnt have any trouble with the gun and got about 1 1/2 groups with the scope that was on the gun and one brand of 270 loads. I didnt have time to try other loads in the gun but i am sure I could have made that gun shoot better groups. The gun in my opinion is a good value for the price. This rifle for a kid or a first time rifle for someone just starting out is just fine. I had never shot a 270 before and this gun was fun to shoot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One of my friends bought a 770 2 years ago, he was just starting deer hunting and didn't want an expensive rifle. I always shoot 700s, so I may just be spoiled but the bolt on the 770 felt really loose and didn't seem to lock up all that well. He has since traded the gun in and got a Marlin XL7, about the same price as a 770 but it seems like a much better quality rifle and I believe it comes in a youth model too.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
The only problem I've found with my Marlin XL7 is that it is chambered for .270. From what I hear Winchester brought out this cartridge to be too big for the small stuff and to small for the big stuff so it would work well on nothing.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I've only handled 770 at the gunshops and they dont seem to be very good bolt was sloppy and hard to close especially at a decent speed.My uncle bought a savage edge for his son i didnt get to see it yet but he says it's a very nice rifle.

·
Registered
536 Posts
moosehunter said:
The only problem I've found with my Marlin XL7 is that it is chambered for .270.
Get yourself a Savage barrel wrench and make it a switch barrel.

You can also use Savage barrels but they need trimmed to fit the Marlin bolt face depth.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i have one in 30/06 and love it the bolt is a little bit sloppy but i never had a problem working it always smooth another big plus is it has a clip good gun for the money in my opinion

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
im a rem 700 fan and the 770 is a piece of junk, buy anything besides it. you would think they wouild have something a descent for a lower end model like the old sportsman 78 and the 788.

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you want a relatively inexpensive bolt rifle go with either a Marlin XL7 or a Stevens Model 200. I've fired both and have never had a problem. IMO the 770 and Edge are not worth the space they take up. I put a deposit on an Edge and cancelled it as soon as I handled an XL7.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, I was hoping that it would be basically a 700 barrel'd action on a cheaper stock and a garbage combo scope. Guess thats not the case at all, and I've read horrible reviews on it.
I'm a fan of the Stevens/Savage line. Deer rifle's a Savage and the groundhog/predator etc rifle is a Steven's.
Never had any problems out of them at all, 9 1/2 times outta 10 whatsever in the scope dies when I pull the trigger unless I have some kind of brainfart and do something stupid.

Just gonna stick with what I'm confident with then. And see if either one of them make a youth model.
I just seen the price Gander had on a used one in the store and thought it'd be good if it has the same action as a 700.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
Big Ken said:
You would think that Remington would just make a cheapened version of the Model 700, Something like the Model 78 that was out around 10 years ago.Birch stock, plastic sights, whatever as long as the Model 700 barreled action is there.
My thoughts exactky!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts