The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do these two guns differ? What years were the Remington 76's made? What year did they start with the 7600?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,770 Posts
760 made 1952-1980. 7600 made 1981-date. 76 was economy version made only in 86,86,and 87. 760 was a heavier, better made rifle, with a complex locking lug system. 7600 major difference was simplifying the lug system. Both very good guns. Best sales state for them has always been PA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
I have own both, most is just cosmetics. The 760 and early 7600 stocks were better suited for iron sights. The new 7600 are higher and mad for scopes.IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,691 Posts
and don't forget the model 6 from the early 80's. kind of fancy 760's. very nice but almost too nice for my tastes. 760, 6, 7600, i like 'em all. but if i was asked which i would buy, i would look for a late 50's - late 60's 760 in 308. they are sweet guns and very accurate with the free floated barrel. triggers are kind of clunky but they can be made very nice. love the rem pumps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
I use a 7600 in .257 Rbts. Started to reload for it and the first load I tried worked great!! I had and sold a 760 in 30-06 and sure wished I hadn`t. It was also an accurate shooter. Might try and get an -06 for next Years Bear Season....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 7600 in 35 whelen. Bought it brand new in 1993. VERY accurate. I have taken a pile of deer and several bears. I would like to get a 760 or 7600 carbine in 06....peep sight it and use it for rainy day hunts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,823 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
760 made 1952-1980. 7600 made 1981-date. 76 was economy version made only in 86,86,and 87. 760 was a heavier, better made rifle, with a complex locking lug system. 7600 major difference was simplifying the lug system. Both very good guns. Best sales state for them has always been PA.
I don't really agree that the 760 was a better made gun. The 760 was more COMPLEX!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
Billu said:
I have a 7600 in 35 whelen. Bought it brand new in 1993. VERY accurate. I have taken a pile of deer and several bears. I would like to get a 760 or 7600 carbine in 06....peep sight it and use it for rainy day hunts.
Be careful what you wish for. Once you find out how sweet it carries and how accurate it is with a peep, you won't be carrying it just on rainy days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,823 Posts
Coureurs De Bois said:
Billu said:
I have a 7600 in 35 whelen. Bought it brand new in 1993. VERY accurate. I have taken a pile of deer and several bears. I would like to get a 760 or 7600 carbine in 06....peep sight it and use it for rainy day hunts.
Be careful what you wish for. Once you find out how sweet it carries and how accurate it is with a peep, you won't be carrying it just on rainy days.
He's right. My 7600 Syn/Matte Carbine is set under a Leupold Vari X III 1.75 X 6 with LOW Leupold mounts. It handles so good in the woods that I find myself carrying it more and more. I have a number of rifles to choose from but find myself more times than not with the Rem. slung over my shoulder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
I suspect many folks will take offense to this statement but 760's and 7600's have been the guns that are most frequently brought into my dad's gunsmith shop for repair each year. In the past 3 weeks alone we had three separate individuals needing repairs, all due to the 10 cent O-ring on the slide tube.

Other than that they are both good guns and likely the most popular models in all of PA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
I have been told that the 760's were better wood stocks and also had better bluing than the 7600's. Sold my 7600 after leaving hand prints with blood ate into the bluing(sat a few days b4 cleaning). Guess my fingerprints are still on it. Wished I still had it, as it was a good shooter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,770 Posts
A general lack of basic maintenance puts either model in bad shape. They are alot less forgiving of crud than bolt guns. I once disassembled one so bad the safety would not move. Had about 30 years of solidified sewing machine oil inside. The owner had a free supply of the stuff, and squirted it in liberally whenever he put it away. The up side was,...No Rust ! The finish on 760 was better, final polishing, etc. I am pretty sure the receiver walls were thicker as well. I love them both, handled hundreds of them, neither one gets any complaints from me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,691 Posts
i had one a while back that was stiff to pump and had a stiff, mushy trigger. i dropped the trigger group and found a cleaning patch jammed in the hammer and a bunch of varnish and crud in the slide rail slots. liberal amounts of hoppes and when i was done it pumped smooth as silk.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,401 Posts
Wiz said:
I suspect many folks will take offense to this statement but 760's and 7600's have been the guns that are most frequently brought into my dad's gunsmith shop for repair each year. In the past 3 weeks alone we had three separate individuals needing repairs, all due to the 10 cent O-ring on the slide tube.

Other than that they are both good guns and likely the most popular models in all of PA.

The o-ring is an easy fix so that isn't a drawback. It actually doesn't need to be fixed but I hate how the forearm rattles when the o-ring is gone.

I've found the 760 to be generally more accurate than the 7600. Oddly enough though the most accurate pump I ever shot was my 7600 in 7mm-08.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,212 Posts
I have both. In practice I can't tell the difference. I do like the 7600 better as it fits me better. To each his own I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
*Moose said:
The o-ring is an easy fix so that isn't a drawback. It actually doesn't need to be fixed but I hate how the forearm rattles when the o-ring is gone.
You would think it would be an easy fix, but its not a simple field dis-assembly and most folks don't carry a spare O-rings in their pocket when it happens. In fact, few folks even know what the problem is when it happens. In 20+ years of dealing with it, its easy to diagnose the problem over the phone.

In about all of the cases that I've seen, the O-ring doesn't disintegrate but breaks and binds the slide and tube so the slide will not function until its taken apart. For many customers, this has resulted in missed opportunities at deer or a ruined hunting day because they have to take the gun home and grab another if they have it. I consider that a fairly major drawback due to a very minor part and so do most of the individuals who have had the problem.

The only consolation is that this typically only occurs on a 10-15 year cycle unless excessive oiling deteriorates the O-ring. In 20 years of business, we typically average about 5-7 760/7600's per year with this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My 7600 is 18 years old. It has seen hard hunts every one of those years. I have never had a problem with the "O" ring.

I have shot well over 1000 to 1200 rounds through this rifle. When is the "O" ring prone to fail?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top