The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for scope ideas for my 7600 in 30.06 Long story short first day of rifle we had rain and thick fog in our part of mckean county. At 11:00 I look through the scope just to check things out and can't see a thing it looked foggy. I figured there was water on the lens so I unloaded and looked at the exit of the scope end no water at all as I had scope caps on. Well thats weird i'm thinking. I come back to camp for lunch and further investigate the "fog" It turns on it is the inner lens of the scope that has fogged from the inside. Never had this happen on any rifle I have ever owned before. Just wondering what you guys recommend I do. The scope is just a cheapy tasco world class 3-9x40 came with the gun and shot great at the range so I just went with it. Obiviously now I wish I wouldn't of done that. It has a lifetime warranty do I send it back to be repaired or just scrap it for another scope? Obiviously not a tasco but something decent. Very limited budget here to work with. Like $100 and under. I know you get what you pay for when it comes to things but $ is so insanely tight right now. I was thinking maybe a bushnell 3-9x40 trophy xlt as you can buy them for $100 shipped brand new. I would like a redfield revolution but can't swing it. And of course a leupold vx-II but thats way out of the realm of reality right now. I do big woods hunting only. Mainly 120 yards and under. Occasional spots down a hollow offer 200-225 yards of clear shooting distance. Any help of ideas? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
You are not going to get much for $100. Save your money and INVEST in a Leupold Vari X II 3 X 9. You get what you pay for and a Leupold is a lifetime investment. You won't have to worry about your riflescope working properly anymore.They cost more because you have to pay for GOOD quality.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The Bushnell trophey is a good scope for the money. I have had a few over the years and they all worked fine. I no its a little more then you are looking to spend but the Nikon Prostaff scope is a nice scope too. One can be had around $130-$140.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Leupold VX-I or VX-II. You can pick up a VX-I for a little over $150 right now. Other choices would be a Leupold made Redfield and possibly a Nikon ProStaff.

I use 2 Remington pumps and both wear Leupold 2-7x33mm in low mounts

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
3x9x40 or 2x7x33 leupold vari-x I or II have one on my rem 700 and other on marlin 336

well worth the extra cash, but get what you can afford
Had a simmons on my old rifle and got a leupold and the clarity is like night and day

for woods hunting i'd lean towards the 2x7x33 wider angle of view in woods/brush

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Going to the Bushnell is definitely a step up in the right direction that's for sure. You are going to still experience some fogging on the worst days but in terms of optical clarity and better performance you will see a difference from your Tasco. The next step up would be either the Bushnell Elites or the Leupold VX-I's or their Rifleman series. Both will offer you more protection from the elements and give you another step up in optical clarity. I've got the Bushnell Trophy XLT's in the 3-9x40's for $119.95 with free priority mail shipping right now. I then also have the Leupold VX-I's and Riflemans for just a bit over $200.00 depending on which one you are looking at. This economy is very tough, so as far as bang for your buck is concerned you will do quite well with the Bushnell XLT. Let us know what you decide on and if you have any more questions just ask. There are some very knowledgable people on this site. If I can be of any assistance just PM me or email me [email protected]. Good luck!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Send it back than you have a backup if you need one year.I sent my tasco back 12 years ago they sent me the top of the line they made at the time.Which is now on my 30-30 that I use as a back up gun.If it was me I would go with the prostaff. That is what i got on my 30-06.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have a 3x9 Nikon on my 76oo.257 Rbts. They have a new improved model out now that has better light gathering system.The ProStaffs are a pretty rugged scope.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have been buying the bushnell elite 3200's lately for around $150. for under $100 the bushnell sportsman is a decent scope for most PA hunting. i have never had any of my modern bushnells fog on me and i hunt in some nasty weather. the old tasco's and simmons were prone to that.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
With cheap scopes you should avoid variables. Cheap fixed powers are normally reliable.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have a Bushnell 3-9x40 trophy on my model SIX (7600 BDL basically), and it works great. Not the quality as the Nikon I had on another gun, but perfectly fine for the most part. I would buy another one.

In this months issue of Field & Stream there is a cheap scope test. Check it out. The best they listed (in there "review") was the Bushnell Banner. I have one of those, and it's "OK" at best. The Trophy is much more clear IMO.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would look around. Right now you can find bushnell 3200s for between 100-150 dollars since they discontinued them. I feel thats about the best deal going. You may be able to find a used Nikon buckmaster or new prostaff in that price range as well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
palefty said:
I would look around. Right now you can find bushnell 3200s for between 100-150 dollars since they discontinued them. I feel thats about the best deal going. You may be able to find a used Nikon buckmaster or new prostaff in that price range as well.
I agree, scrape together a little more cash and go with one of those options. You really won't regret it in the long run.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
mackgee said:
Going to the Bushnell is definitely a step up in the right direction that's for sure. You are going to still experience some fogging on the worst days but in terms of optical clarity and better performance you will see a difference from your Tasco. The next step up would be either the Bushnell Elites or the Leupold VX-I's or their Rifleman series. Both will offer you more protection from the elements and give you another step up in optical clarity. I've got the Bushnell Trophy XLT's in the 3-9x40's for $119.95 with free priority mail shipping right now. I then also have the Leupold VX-I's and Riflemans for just a bit over $200.00 depending on which one you are looking at. This economy is very tough, so as far as bang for your buck is concerned you will do quite well with the Bushnell XLT. Let us know what you decide on and if you have any more questions just ask. There are some very knowledgable people on this site. If I can be of any assistance just PM me or email me [email protected]. Good luck!
Any fogging is BAD news. Period!

·
Registered
555 Posts
[/quote]Any fogging is BAD news. Period! [/quote]

Go breath on the lens of your VX-whatever. Even the best scope will fog given the right conditions. They should not, however, fog on the inside of the lens.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
The ProStaff wins my vote on this one, too. I've had two, and both were really good scopes for the money. Cabela's often will have the 3-9x40 on sale for $99.

As ROVERT mentioned, any lens will fog externally given the right conditions. It's the internal fogging that is real trouble. Once it happens, it's going to KEEP happening.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Any fogging is BAD news. Period![/QUOTE]

Go breath on the lens of your VX-whatever. Even the best scope will fog given the right conditions. They should not, however, fog on the inside of the lens. [/quote]Duh, that's what I meant! Any scope will fog on the outside.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone for all your input. I just got off the phone with tasco or so I thought. Turns out bushnell now owns tasco and will not honor tascos lifetime warranty on tasco products before the merger. Instead the will offer a discount to tasco owners with issues. She said do u have a scope in mind your interested in? I said how about the bushnell trophy xlt so she looked it up and said retail is $209 from us your price will be $92.32 plus $10 shipping. I said cabelas had the same scope on sale for $109 with a $30 mail in rebate. She insists to tell me that's not possible. I said I am online looking at it right now. She said that must be a mistake cause the prices we give are below "cost". I said ok so now what? She said you can buy a scope or hang up a phone. I said excuse me she responds with do I need to repeat myself. I said mam I am just trying to figure out what to do with a scope I purchased from your company and I don't appreciate you speaking to me like that. She responds with it is not my fault you bought a garbage piece of merchandise. I said a garbage piece you guys built the thing! She said this conversation is over and hangs up the phone on me! So needless to say I won't be buying a bushnell product ever again either. What in the world is wrong with people these days!?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts