The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love this gun. I have been using since 1972, I can't tell you how many deer it has taken in numerous states. The memories are countless, most of my deer hunting stories revolve around this gun.This year for the first time it may have let me down.
On the first Tuesday of the rifle season I saw the biggest buck of my life, it was an easy shot but somehow I missed, went to load another round but nothing, the clip didn't push the shell up! After recovering, I noticed that when locked my fore-arm piece is real loose. I hadn't noticed this happening over the years. My question is can this be tighten up? I have already gotten a new clip. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! After posting I was reading some of the other threads and noticed it mentioned. It figures it would go when it did!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Probably never happen again in your life, but why couldn't it happen on the range, not with a buck in the crosshairs !

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right, and it wasn't only that, but I usually keep a free bullet in an open pocket for just this sort of thing.But not on this day!After missing, I tried twice to get another round in, the biggest buck of my life stood broadside 40 yrds away and I was helpless.It was like the perfect storm! This was a "huge" buck that almost didn't look real.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
of the 760-7600's i've seen malfunction in the field it wouldn't be my first choice. i've also seen as many perform. seen one that wouldn't lock closed on factory ammo

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
My 7600 you have to really shuck the slide in order to lock it up. My 760, that i sure wish I hadn`t sold, would almost slide into battery itself.I suppose the 7600 will slicken up with age?? I had a friend that cleaned His 760 clip with a screwdriver and rag and apparently bent the lips on it. Missed a Buck with it when the second round didn`t pop up. Took it to a Gunsmith who put it back in working order....

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
ron they was absolutly slamming the thing full force to get a round to "lock". it wouldn't do it,eventually he went to his house and got his old lever gun. i never heard what the problem was, i'm assuming the chamber was crusty

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Reloads with stretched cases would cause that problem. Way too long they won't chamber, slightly too long they will do what you described. Just a possibility.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
Reloads with stretched cases would cause that problem. Way too long they won't chamber, slightly too long they will do what you described. Just a possibility.
If you are going to reload for the 760/7600 you must make sure to keep your cases trimmed to factory length. It also helps to use a small base die for resizing your fired cases. Pumps just do NOT have the camming power of a bolt.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
comblockshooter said:
don't know ,but after watching almost 30 rounds not lock up i personally decided never to own one
Were they reloaded cartridges? If so they were not reloaded properly.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
WildTigerTrout said:
comblockshooter said:
don't know ,but after watching almost 30 rounds not lock up i personally decided never to own one
Were they reloaded cartridges? If so they were not reloaded properly.
I've made the same mistake. I tried to neck size only once.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Me too! My "trim to" length was a little long. 50 rounds that wouldn't chamber. Now I trim cases just a little short to be safe. So far so good. Many recommend a small base die, my regular FL seems to work.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was using factory ammo. I've used this same gun for over 40 years without an issue, and when I got back to the cabin it performed fine! Just one of those unlucky things!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Thats ok as long as they were shot from that gun originally. The problem is when you use brass that was fired from a different rifle.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
Thats ok as long as they were shot from that gun originally. The problem is when you use brass that was fired from a different rifle.
My model 6 243 must be full length sized. No ifs ands or butts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Like they say each gun may be different for different people but my dad swore by his 760, and used nothing but Rem. Core Lokt ammo and fell countless deer since his dad bought it for him when he got home from Vietnam. Ive used it for the last several years since he passed away and it helped me get the biggest buck of my life two years age when i picked it up for the first time. I also got a doe this year. And my dad always kept an extra cartridge in his shirt pocket too for just such an emergency. I do the same. Never had any real problems to speak of. The clips have to be seated all the way or sometimes ive noticed they may get stuck and wont let the shell get picked up quite right. I just make sure i check on my way in and when i get to my spot. Just give it a little TLC and it will do the job for many years to come

1 - 20 of 23 Posts