The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that when firing my 760 30-06 offhand that the slide would be about halfway to three-quarters of the way open by the time the recoil was over, resulting in just pumping another half inch or so backwards to eject the shell. I have experience with other 760's and they've all opened a little bit naturally, but just enough that you'd see maybe a third of the empty shell. Seems like mine is opening excessively for some reason. Is it better to actually put reward pressure on the slide so that the action bar lock doesn't drop away so quickly after the hammer drops or what? The gun chambers and locks up perfectly and doesn't jam, it just seems like the slide opens much quicker than it should after firing. Some of the cases were really hot right after the shot, which tells me that it may be premature. When I actually tried to hold the slide shut upon firing, it stayed closed a little better, but that isn't a natural shooting technique. I heard someone say before to actually put some rearward pressure on the slide when shooting to keep the recoil inertia from opening the slide. So please give me some input from any of you 760 fans out there. Like I said, the gun functions great and is clean internally, just seems weird it would do this. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I've had mine do that off the bench, shooting from sandbags. Can't say I've ever had it happen while shooting offhand. Never really paid attention to my technique, just shot it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
As longas it closes the headspace is fine, some of the older models had a round screw on the front of the forearm you could turn to make it close/open better...don't feel bad, my 1300 speed pump blows it completely back and ejects the empty, all I do is Bush forward, half semi !

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am shooting factory Winchester Supreme 168 grain ballistic silvertips. They seem hot, but it's not like they're a max handload or anything like that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, feeling a bit better about it then. Seems like the heavy hitters rack the slide back themselves. I bet if you had one in .243, or one of the special runs like 6mm or .257 Roberts, it wouldn't be as drastic.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Some of these cartridges run high pressure to get the velocity up...how about smooth machine work of the 760's back then, heavy bullets, clean action and good lubes of today...maybe your not building the forearm hard enough, hold tight and let a couple fly...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I suppose some do it, and some don't do it as forcefully. I'd just hate to have that cause a hang up in the field when I need more than one shot, but it should be ok. The screw inside of the ebony end cap on the slide wouldn't have anything to do with that right? "Tightness" of the action I mean?

·
Banned
851 Posts
That's what they are supposed to do. The 30-06 will bring the slide back almost all the way for you. At least my dads and brothers will. My .35 Remington will not. My .35 Whelen will bring it back every time the whole way. Boy does it jump, but it is quick!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input folks. Yeah, I'd rather have a butter smooth action than one of the ones where it felt like someone stuck a wad of gum into the action bars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.