The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone on here has one??? What can you tell me about it? Likes? Dislikes? What kind of accuracy do you get out of it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not a real common rifle, anymore, and an even less common cartridge. Both are very good, though. I may build a .250 Savage Ackley Improved on a 722 for coyote and deer hunting. Hope you find someone with .300 Savage experience to chime in.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have one and daughter also has one both shoot real well . Just a little slower than a 308 but a good deer / black bear gun and low recoil .

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should add that I'm looking more for info on that rifle than the cartridge. I already have a .300 Savage in a M99. It was my grandfather's rifle, and the first one he bought upon returning home from WWII. I've taken around 15 deer with it so far and one black bear. But I want to retire it except for on blue bird days. I have quite a bit of reloading components for the .300 and want to stick with it and now have an opportunity to acquire this M722.

Thanks for the replies so far.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Never shot a 722 but have shot a few 721's including my fathers. Most were .30-06 and one or two .270. Plain Jane - nothing fancy but all that I shot were very accurate. My father said they were $30-$50 cheaper then the Mod. 70 brand new in the '50s. He got his used in '54 or '55 with a Weaver 2.5-5 power scope that's still on the rifle. Last time he shot it (4-5 years ago) was grouping 1.5" at 100 yards. His was having problems with the extractor, which I understand is common for them. I believe it's an "O" ring in the bolt face that is forced over the rim of the shell as the bolt is closed. I guess the "O" ring wears to the point that it can't hold the rim as the bolt is opened. I heard the "O" rings can be hard to find.

·
Registered
993 Posts
My 722 in 300 Savage shoots right at 1" at 100 yards with a 3X9 Leupold I use 150 Grain bullets with Winchester 748 Powder . I don't think you can go wrong with the 722's Very good little rifles

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
722 shorter action.
721 longer action.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
the 722 is just a short action version of the 721. i have a 721 in 300 H&H mag and love it. the 300 savage has been around for a long time and everyone i know that has one liked them. the 722 and 721 models are the fore runner of the model 700. the action on my 721 is smooth as the day it was made. hope this help. if i was looking to get another 721 or 722 id jump at the chance.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Not a real common rifle, anymore, and an even less common cartridge. Both are very good, though. I may build a .250 Savage Ackley Improved on a 722 for coyote and deer hunting. Hope you find someone with .300 Savage experience to chime in.
I used to have a 250 ack. never should of sold it. It was a very efficient chambering, and deadly on deer.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've looked into that a little bit. Rem wanted a .30 cal deer caliber in the 722 and the .300 was it at the time. Even the .308 was not out yet. So they are a bit more common than some think. I've researched on a few other chat forums and the consensus seems to be to not go over $350-$400 depending on the condition. There are several on gun broker that are asking $595 and don't even have a bid yet.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
It's certainly not rifle or cartridge you see everyday anywhere, the rifle alone is an old timer and the cartridge is just nice for deer hunting and an oldie but goodie...too be honest I don't think I've ever seen one in .300 savage at anytime and I've been to a lot of gun shows during the last 50 years. Check serial number for manufacturer date..I don't believe they made many in that cartridge, back in the 60's I saw lots of deer killed with it, similar but not quite a .308 but better than the 30/30...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I like that $82.80 price tag, retail...probably $59.00 in house.....do you have any idea how many were chambered in that cartridge, still believe it can't be many...I'_be a chart which shows everything you want to know about Remington bolts but have no clue were it was located..

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
No idea on number made orther than that cal. was dis. in 59'.
The Blue book say to SUBTRACT 10% if its a 300 sav. but if I'd like it I woudn't care what the books say!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Remington M722s in .300 Savage arent as easy to find as they used to be, but they are out there. They are much easier to find than the M700 Classic in .300 Savage, and at one point it seemed liked the market was saturated in the Classic version. Remington also made a limited run of 700BDLs in this caliber back in the early 90s, but it didnt sell very well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Years ago, I bought a Remington 722 in 300 Savage at a Pawn Shop in Reno, Nevada. I was stationed in California at the time and used it for hunting alpine mule deer within the high Sierras. I had no problem downing these animals; the 300 Savage has a long history of being effective within reasonable distances. Most of my shots occurred within 150 yards or so.

Years passed and my children grew up. I had the barrel professionally shortened to 20 inches and the stock cut down by 2 inches. But the Redfield 4X scope remained in place since it was still a good glass for this rifle. My children toppled many Pennsylvania whitetails with this rifle. Now my oldest Grandson has it. He replaced the scope with a Vortex 2-7X model that is superior to the older Redfield.

In summary I've found the 722 to be reliable, safe, and accurate. It doesn't have the good looks of Remington's model 7 carbine but it works!

TR

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have 2 M722 in 257 Roberts. Nice "plain jane" guns that are very reliable. With mine you must move the safety to fire to unload gun, but I heard that you can send the rifle back to Rem and they will fix it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have 2 M722 in 257 Roberts. Nice "plain jane" guns that are very reliable. With mine you must move the safety to fire to unload gun, but I heard that you can send the rifle back to Rem and they will fix it.
true about the safety. or you can have a Rem certified gunsmith do it.

I have a 722B in 222. Great rifle. I'd buy a 300 savage in a heart beat.

I hunted elk last year with a fella with a 722 in 300 savage

heres my baby. Made in 1952.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts