The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally my 721's sling is secured by two bolts in the fore and aft of the stock, the front bolt has broke loose of the stock and I have repaired it twice and it has fallen out again. I am curious if it is safe to use a front barrel clamp [like the ones used on a pump action rifle] to secure the sling in place.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! It will just be temporary but it will get me through the last few days of the season. Thanks for answering MossyOak1957!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
cheaper to get a lopop sttyle sling like for a shotgun, for the rest of the season than to invest in an expensive barrel band. Barrel bands can change the POI also.

Easy fix after the season to: remove stock, clean out wood area and add some epoxy to the inside of the stock and then re-drill for the bolt and nut. Be sure to grind down the bolt so it does not extend to the metal barrel.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
cheaper to get a lopop sttyle sling like for a shotgun, for the rest of the season than to invest in an expensive barrel band. Barrel bands can change the POI also.

Easy fix after the season to: remove stock, clean out wood area and add some epoxy to the inside of the stock and then re-drill for the bolt and nut. Be sure to grind down the bolt so it does not extend to the metal barrel.
Gotta go with him on this one.

I have a ring on my 243. No problems with it. I will say it has been on there since my dad bought the rifle new in 1983. It looks like it is meant to be there. The blueing is perfect, and who ever manufactured it must have designed it for my barrel contour.

I wouldn't expect that to happen with a 721.

As far as accuracy goes. In theory what he said and what I've read makes sence. I'm still not taking mine off to find out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts