The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been kicking around the idea of tinkering with My 700 ADL in 270. It's an older gun,but shoots great and shoulders like putting on your favorite pair of slippers. First thing I'd like to do is replace the trigger. I was thinking of using the new X-Mark trigger,but won't rule out a Timney or Rifle Basix. A few years back, I thought I had a "Remington Moment" so I want to rule out any possibility of that happening again. I wouldn't mind changing to a BDL type stock and floor plate, but that would mean getting a new stock/recoil pad,and would change the way the rifle feels(although, I haven't ruled out the thought). I have seen a lot of XCR stocks on line cheap,but are guys getting rid of them for a reason? Finally, I have to upgrade My scope. I have A Nikon 3-9x40 Buckmaster on another rifle and like it, But was thinking about the Nikon Monarch for this one. Sorry if I rambled,but I have gotten some good advice on here in the past, and always enjoy peoples comments, so,Have at it. Let Me know what You think.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If it's an older Remington why a new trigger. They are adjustable from about a 1 1/2 to 5 pounds. You could always cut the stock you have to fit the BDL floorplate. As far as a scope the Monachs are good scopes. Also check out the vortex scopes, I bought 1 last spring & am very impresssed with it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a Remington Sportsman 78 (cheap version of 700ADL) that I did a few upgrades to like your talking about. I was nervous over touching the rifle since it is such a sweet shooter. But I plowed ahead and put a BDL stock on it with the hinged floor plate. Added a Nikon scope to it also. It still shoots just as nice and looks twice as good. I thought about replacing the trigger or even adjusting the existing one but ended up leaving it alone for now.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Trigger is adjustable if desired and theres nothing wrong with adl. Floor plate your looking around 75.00 plus stock. I actually bought a ultra lite arms custom 5 3/4 lb. custom rifle used a couple of years ago usd and its adl. Took no time at all to get used to and think nothing of it being adl.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My current trigger is SWEET! BUT, A few years ago, The gun went off when I clicked off the safety. At the time, I was wearing heavy gloves, and just might have had a finger in the trigger guard( stupid yes, I know)I am just not sure. Now, even at the range when the gun is pointed in a safe direction,I always "hold my breath" so to speak. Forget about letting anyone else shoot it. I did have it checked and the 'smith told me he cloud find nothing wrong with it.I am still kinda spooked by it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any experience good or bad with the XCR stocks? I know someone on here has to have one.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Im not sure if the xcr has that cheap injected piece of topperware or not. If you can post a pic of it out of the barreled action.

·
Registered
996 Posts
for like 40 bucks most smiths will tune that trigger down to about 3.5 pounds. I'd then run some reloads through it and see how it does with those. If that doesn't help things i'd spend another 40 and have the action bedded. If that doesn't work then I think that you wrung all the accuracy that you can out of that particular gun with that particular barrel.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trigger is the best one I've ever shot. My concern is the accidental discharge a few years ago. I'm not sure if it was Me or if it was one of those things that has troubled the M700 triggers for years.
With my current setup, I am printing 1/2" groups at 100 shooting handloads,so more accuracy isn't the goal here. The trigger and safety is My #1 priority, New optics are #2. Everything else is just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If your ADL is the older type where you have to put the trigger on fire to work the bolt SEND IT BACK TO REMINGTON. There was a safety recall for this issue of accidental discharges. They will replace it...but it'll probably be an Xmark...not the best in my opinion. If you know a local gunsmith, you can pick up a pre-xmark trigger on some classifieds and havevit switched for less than $100. Rifle basic are decent but not sure they are compatible with the older safety. A call to them will answer that. If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can replace the trigger yourself...just be sure you don't adjust it too light and do all the safety checks.

I would swap the stock if it were me but it's not a huge issue to stick with the ADL. The Tupperware stocks people are dumping are flimsy. You can get a much better aftermarket stock for under $200 if you keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
In deer season I witnessed an "accidental" discharge of a Rem 700. I saw the finger inside the trigger guard while the hunter was easing the saftey forward and as I opened my mouth to warn it fired. Having owned, fired thousands of rounds and tinkered with 700 triggers for forty years I have never had an "accidental discharge". Not saying it has not occured, but I am far more inclined to believe 99.9% happened while easing off the saftey with the finger inside the trigger guard, add gloves and it becomes very easy to do especially for a novice handler. The index finger acts as a lever. For my money Remington produced the finest factory trigger for 50 years. Of course now a days it instantly becomes the rifles fault, call a lawyer and explain how the firearm just went off for no reason. Yes the person who I watched do it denied he pulled the trigger..... wrong.... I watched the index finger move against the trigger and informed him so, emptied my 700 and showed him how easy it was to commit the error. Keep your finger out of the guard!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to play it safe, I will be contacting Remington. If I don't like what they have to say, I'll put a Timney in it. It probably was my fault, but for safety's sake,and others around Me, the trigger is getting replaced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts