The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,514 Posts
the 600 came in 2 flavors. the original from 64-68 was a 18" carbine with a plastic ventilated rib and walnut stock and short action with a dogleg bolt. came in 222, 223, 243, 6mm 35 rem and 308. the 600 magnum was the same but came with a laminated beech/walnut stock and came in 350 rem mag and 6.5 rem mag. in the 70's they came out with a 600 mohawk that was pretty much the same but no vent rib and either walnut or hardwood stock. not sure of the cals but i know 222, 243, 6mm and 308 at least.

i have a '65 350 mag and can attest to the jawsmacking recoil. it is not a very pleasant gun to shoot and if you don't get a good cheek weld it will knock you a good one. but, it is big deer medicine. the deer that have walked in front of my 350 did not take another step.

a 600 in 243 would be a really nice little giun. good for kids, women or even 250 lb men. i want to get one in 243 one of these days.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
there was a couple of recalls for the 600. look at the left side of the trigger and see if there is a V. if so, the infamous trigger recall that was killing people was done. they also will fix the safety so that you can open the bolt with the safety on. i had gander do mine years ago and i think it cost $15 because remington paid for the labor or parts or something.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
4-5 is kinda low for the original 600's. maybe 5-ish for the non-magnums and mohawks. but you can find a bargain occasionally. like a very nice '64 350 for $425 at a small army navy store. but i already bought that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.