The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Remington Mohawk 600 in 6MM that I have been shooting for 30 years. My son has used it for the last couple years. Well this year the quick release on the sling got bumped and the gun got bumped as a result. The stock forearm has a slight crack in it now. This gun has always been a great shooter no matter what ammo you feed it. I want to redo the gun at this point. I have looked at the HS Precision, Ramline, Boyds etc stocks. Any recommendations on a redo of the old Mohawk? I like the "look" of the HS Precision in Desert camo but don't like the $465 price tag. Are they worth it? Should I get a ramline and have it camo'd????? Any tips appreciated.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken,
I thought about that but wanted to dress it up a little. The factory stocks weren't the greatest.

Can anyone recommend a local camo dipper if I decide to go that way?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Potter Bound, I had a 1 pc. stock done at Liquid Illusions in camo. They did a beautiful job, and great to deal with. Now the gun is just right for my taste. Kevin is top notch....later

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great sites. I like the idea of doing my own stock.
Thanks!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
b&ghuntre said:
Potter Bound, I had a 1 pc. stock done at Liquid Illusions in camo. They did a beautiful job, and great to deal with. Now the gun is just right for my taste. Kevin is top notch....later
OK - if I don't do my own it's good to hear of reputable sources.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Numrich has a beautiful walnut stock with cut checkering that looks like your original stock, but a lot nicer. I have one on my .308 Mohawk.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have repaired many stock cracks and chips by mixing epoxy, spread it with a very thin razor blade into the crack. Of course, the stock then needs to be sanded, stained and refinished, but its a labor of love.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I would drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it.Then do the rest of the repair/refinish as you wish.I would however keep the gun as original as possible with the finish for sentimental reasons.That's me and it's not my gun it's yours.I would like to see the finished work in a picture though.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
If the crack is bad, consider this from Brownells, ehttp://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=617/Product/STOCK_REPAIR_PIN_KIT.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have 3 Mohawks with the H-s precision stock. I think this stock complete's the look of this rifle. I have no images to show, but if you are looking to replace the stock do not go with the ramline, spend the money and get a stock that will hold up to the abuse of hunting season. Stockysstocks has some on sale usually, but I believe the colors are limited. The one mohawk has had the H-S precision stock on for about 23 years, and there are no signs of wear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts