The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if a metal receiver cover is available to relace the original plastic receiver cover on the Rem 581 22 LR???

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Other then having one custom made I know of nothing in the marketplace. Did read an article years ago about one being made on a customized 581. Looked nice and sleek. The guy made a mannlicher stock for it too! Would've hated to see the bill.

Muab Dib

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Maub. Ive been lookin around & couldnt find anything.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'll look for the article...I used to save stuff like that.
Plus I think that Rem. 581's are one of the best 22's ever offered for the $. Six of them in my extended hunting family and my first rifle.

Muab

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought mine new in 1968 a year after they were introduced when I was a jr in HS.. I just read that the big Green discontinued them in 1983. A fine shooting 22!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I sure wish I had an answer for you. I have found some after market stocks if you are interested. I am in the process of ordering one of those stocks myself. I just picked up a really nice LH model not too long ago. I don't think it had even been shot. But I remedied that real fast. The condition was as near to 100% as you can get in a rifle without a box.

I really like the 581's. IMO they are the best shooting inexpensive 22 LR's ever made. Tom.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice Tom!!

Here's mine i bought new when I was in 11th grade back in 1968. I remembering saving-up for so long while working part time to buy it! It has a nice stock that i really appreciate now but didn't even notice back then. Was just glad to get me a 22 for huntin squirrels!!!

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Maub. I think it almost cost me a hundred bucks to boot!!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Several years ago I saw a NIB M581 lefthand for sale
in a local gunshop. Thing sat forever before it sold,
wish I would have bought it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Loggy, that's a unique looking stock!

I always detested that plastic piece, but I always liked the 581. My first "real" rifle. I got mine in 60's as well. When the firing pin broke on me sometime in the early 80's, I did a once-over on mine. Stripped the stock, glass-bedded it, disassembled the trigger group and lightened the trigger pull, refinished the stock with Tru-Oil and added a set of sling swivel studs. Mounted a Weaver V4W in steel Redfield rings.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice 581 there Setters4Life!
Yea...I think i never realized it was plastic till I disassembled gun. i neevr did any work on mine. Havent really used much since my younger squirrel hunting days which im hoping to get back to in the future.. I bought mine new at the old Collinsville Discount Center in Southern York County. They have been out of business for many moons.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I've been looking for a piece for that same exact rifle for YEARS now. The gun won't fire and the shroud thats broke inside I can't find anywhere!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Geesh Loggy. How much you want for that stock? I got a 581 too.. you up for a "stock swap!?"

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Killin'time said:
Geesh Loggy. How much you want for that stock? I got a 581 too.. you up for a "stock swap!?"
Think im gonna keep it.
If i remember they were using beech. Mine was certinly cut from a nice piece for sure.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I bought a used one that was in great shape about 10 years ago. put a leopold 4x scope on it, best shooting 22 I have ever had. Beatiful gun you got there Loggy.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Black Labs. Mine shoots neck & neck to my CZ 452 American 22LR. It's a shame the Big Green no longer makes a 22 rifle...least none are listed in catalog. Mebbie they do custom.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
i have 582 the tube fed version of that riffle dad bought it for us in 1981. then i bought the 581 parts gun to repair and could not find any parts sold it to a friend who is now wanting to sell it back to me and i am all over it. one of the best 22's ever made.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gunmaster12 said:
i have 582 the tube fed version of that riffle dad bought it for us in 1981. then i bought the 581 parts gun to repair and could not find any parts sold it to a friend who is now wanting to sell it back to me and i am all over it. one of the best 22's ever made.
Amen...one of the best fer sure!! My Dad had a 582 tube fed at one time. he traded before he passed or i would have it along side of my 581!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts