The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone ever have any issues with the 2nd shell not chambering !! (using Black Cloud ammo)
A friend of mine went Snow goose hunting and had big problems with gun.
He said it was cleaned and all ports were not clogged up. NEED HELP !!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Also check the diagram on the magazine that shows the proper
sequencing of the metal rings. If they are out of sync you will have a single shot!!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
is it the newer supermag 11-87??? Both my dad and I have had issues with this gun. MIne was resolved after a gunsmith worked on it for about a week- he did something with the spring. My dad's is probably due for a tune up as well.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Blackcloud shells are a little bit bigger in diameter than most shells. This might be why they are not chambering.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Have been shooting an 1187 all season. No issues other than a occasional misfeed. Pretty particular about keeping it clean after each hunt though. Could be the shells or maybe a gunked up magazine tube?

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Not an expert, do know that some 11/87s are fussy about keeping the O ring and gas system clean and properly lubed?

·
Registered
542 Posts
is it hanging up in the magazine? or in the feed area??
theres a metal slide on the inside to the left that wore out over time on mine. had nothing to do with the o-rings. when i get home ill look for a diagram for you

·
Registered
236 Posts
I also shoot a 11-87 and have some problems to always when shooting blackcloud I think there hard on this gun just took mine apart took out whole trigger assembly and cleaned the action spring follower its a part that is in a cylinder that compresses against the main spring that could be dirty inside that cylinder cleaned and lubed worked for me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is the 2nd shell coming outta of the magazine tube, but the action is not shutting? If so, there is a finger on, I think the left side top of the feed ramp, it is a separate looking finger....it usually bends in, and the button that the 2nd and or 3rd shell comes back and hits the button, the action is supposed to close. This finger bends in, and the button catches the finger, and the action will not close. The button, is the same piece as the button on the bottom of the feed ramp that u close the action with. I just take a smaller pair of needle nose pliers and bend the finger away from the center. You will need to drop the trigger assembly out for this.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
A lot of different 11-87's out there. First off the "sportsmans", I don't know much about, but are cheaper versions of the real 11-87, not sure why they even did it, I guess for the cheap retailers to compete. Kindof like buying a "john deer" tractor at home depot, it's not the same tractor you buy at the dealership, much cheaper.

I have a 20 some year old 11-87 and a 10 year old one, both are considered the "special purpose" model. I am super hard on the 20 yo gun, and have been. Stopped working well about 5 years ago, cycling issues, etc. I had never "totally" cleaned the gun, main spring was like a solid piece of rust, and had weed seeds sprouting in it. Cleaned it out, replaced the spring, and havn't done a thing to it since. Plus of course the typical clean your gun stuff when shooting dirty shells, so the ports don't get gummed up, is common with the 11-87's.

As for the "O" rings, I had big problems with my new gun always breaking them. The problem in my opinion was the piston rings. At some point Remmington changed the piston rings, becasue my older 11-87 had 2 piston rings, one was flat, it went on the tube first, then the other one had a curved edge and just sat on top of the first one. The newer gun, had 2 piston rings as well, but one "snapped" over the other one, then was put over the tube. I think the newer piston rings were my problem, as I ordered new piston rings from the factory, but I ordered the ones that are shown in the 1100's parts list, which were the same as my older gun, and haven't broke a O ring since. Just my observations with these guns.

Bottom line with these, are if you really want a 11-87, try and find the special purpose guns, and stay away from the sportsman model.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I've got nothing to add to this post but this is some funny stuff.

Good one dmccoy.

I had never "totally" cleaned the gun, main spring was like a solid piece of rust, and had weed seeds sprouting in it.
What kinda weeds were they? LOL

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Not sure what kind of weeds, but that was my only gun for years, killed deer, waterfowl in fresh and salt, turkey, small game, everything you can think of with it, plus I shoot it good, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have actually just switched to a versa max, and seem to be able to shoot it just as well. I bought a Extremma years ago, had to get rid of it, not becasue it wasn't a great gun, I just couldn't shoot it well. Heck, even the new 11-87 I have, I can't shoot it like the older one, it's just a spare that never gets used.

Keep it somewhat clean, and they last for years, mine is over 20 years old. Only time I had a real problem with is was when I started using it for trap. Was putting about 200 rounds a week through it, hunting guns just are not made for that. I just replaced a bunch of the parts, fixed it up, and stopped using it for trap. Really stinks though, I shot a 187 out of 200 at Elysburg with it one year. Won't do that again, some of the guys shooting $12,000 guns weren't too fond of me shooting a camo gun with the sling still on it, better than they were...

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
There's a lot of good things to be said about using the same gun for all shooting and hunting for 20 years.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Been shooting 11-87 for over 20 years and really never had much trouble with them unless i got lazy and didn't clean them for about a month of hunting but i see this with all autos you have to keep all of them clean.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have one less than 2 yrs old cracked the bolt and broke side ejection bar, luckly was covered under warrinty, what a piece of junk compared to the 1100's

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
My son has one that has been in the gun safe for a few years now. Had alot of trouble with it so he went out and bought a SBE II. Poor ole 11-87 hasn't seen the light of day since.

You must keep them clean! If not they are only good for a boat anchor!! And even clean they still seem to have issues every once in a while.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts