·
Registered
1,967 Posts
And we were smarter!

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Well, we were a World Book Encyclopedia family. The colors must have gone better with mom's living room decor. They were too expensive not to be displayed as an item of pride, for all to see.

At the time, I would have never admitted to my friends (it seemed too nerdy), but I spent many hours looking at all the great things those books had to offer. And unlike stuff on electronic devices, some of that information actually was retained. Just something about a book seems to get the info into my brain better???

It was always a big deal when the yearbook (yearly update) came out....yeah, closet nerd!:grin2:

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Well, we were a World Book Encyclopedia family. The colors must have gone better with mom's living room decor. They were too expensive not to be displayed as an item of pride, for all to see.

At the time, I would have never admitted to my friends (it seemed too nerdy), but I spent many hours looking at all the great things those books had to offer. And unlike stuff on electronic devices, some of that information actually was retained. Just something about a book seems to get the info into my brain better???

It was always a big deal when the yearbook (yearly update) came out....yeah, closet nerd!:grin2:

It was a window into so many worlds that otherwise would have remained a mystery. Most households, if they even had a TV, got two or three channels. No History channel, no Discovery channel, nothing educational at all. Open the encyclopedia and you could be in Africa, South America, anywhere. You could learn how airplanes or trains work. You could learn about history, biology, medicine, anything, no limit except your imagination and curiosity.

·
Super Moderator
27,526 Posts
I don't remember which set of encyclopedia we had, but along with it we had "The New Book of Knowledge" which was basically another set of encyclopedias. I can still picture both sets on the bookshelf that sat in the dining room. With 10 kids in the house, and most in school at the same time, there was always a couple of volumes missing from the set. And the yearbook that came was well anticipated each year.
As loridr stated, one could be anywhere at anytime!

·
Super Moderator
27,526 Posts
Holy Cow, never a dull moment!
The age difference from oldest to youngest is not even 14 years! I'm the 8th, so my parents were pretty broke in by then and I got away with a bit more than the others. Of course, they've seen it all by the time I was of age, so I really didn't get away with anything they didn't want me to! :grin2:

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
The age difference from oldest to youngest is not even 14 years! I'm the 8th, so my parents were pretty broke in by then and I got away with a bit more than the others. Of course, they've seen it all by the time I was of age, so I really didn't get away with anything they didn't want me to! :grin2:

My roomy in collage came from a family of 15 kids and he was the youngest. He said his father was more like his grandfather, and his oldest brother was his de facto father.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,526 Posts
15? Wow!
My oldest brother is 10 years older than me. He did a lot for us, especially when it came to hunting and fishing. In fact he took me hunting the day I shot my first deer. It was one of the first years of the statewide Flintlock season, and my dad had to work that day.
My other brothers mostly just got me into a lot of trouble. :grin2:

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I am the 9th of 9 with 21 years from start to finish. My oldest brother +19 on me is still my hunting partner. He set me up to hunt when I was 12 but he was ahead of his times as we had mentored hunts long before it was cool. Waugh!

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I was an only child and had everything and very seldom was denied anything.

If I wanted a book or needed a encyclopedia my mother sent me to the library.
If I wanted a bicycle I borrowed one from the family across the street; they had 5 kids and 3 bikes.
If I wanted a baseball glove I used one from one of the other guys who was sitting the "pine".
If I wanted to go fishing I used the gear one of my cousins had.
If I wanted to go to the YMCA to play basketball or see a movie I took the streetcar and then walked.

My parents were in the iron and steel industry. My mother ironed and my father stole.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts