The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember when catching a coyote was big news?

Back in the early 80's, a local trapper in Central City, PA actually made the local news paper in Johnstown because he caught a coyote.

Fast forward to 2015, trappers all across the sate are making multiple catches all across the state. Amazing how the population dynamics of certain animals have changed through the years.

The same could be said about the fisher.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You aren't kiddin! Put a few miles on the boots today. I think I might take my next grouse to get my picture in the paper! Lol

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
trapperrick said:
Remember when catching a coyote was big news?

Back in the early 80's, a local trapper in Central City, PA actually made the local news paper in Johnstown because he caught a coyote.

Fast forward to 2015, trappers all across the sate are making multiple catches all across the state. Amazing how the population dynamics of certain animals have changed through the years.

The same could be said about the fisher.
I remember when a kid caught the first coyote in beaver county and it made the Beaver County Times. That was probably mid to late 80's.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am a bit older. Growing up in Bucks County, I have seen first the woodcock go, then pheasant, rabbit, muskrat and about 2000 I think the first coyote made the papers being caught.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Anyone remember standing in line to sell your hides to the buyer at Green Dragon in Ephrata?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Most of those old traveling fur buyers are gone now. I sure remember them.

We had one at the old Manada Hill Market that operated at Route 39 and Route 81 on Tuesday nights. At one time I could have told you the man's name and where he was from, but age got the better of me now. He was an older man and he was always accompanied by his wife. He bought a lot of fur at that location over the years. He was also the buyer for the Milton Hershey School as many of the boys enrolled there lived on farms and trapping was one way for them to make money. He bought a lot of fur there too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well guys I hate to tell how old I am...but I remember as a young trapper sitting down with Stanley Hawbaker and grading and hashing prices over my muskrats, coon and grinners. He was the real deal!! I wish I could have spent more time learning this trade from him at his fur store

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Remember when... you sent in your fox ears for the $4 bounty.
Great horned owl for $5 bounty.
And weasels for $1 bounty.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Pa Goosehntr said:
Well guys I hate to tell how old I am...but I remember as a young trapper sitting down with Stanley Hawbaker and grading and hashing prices over my muskrats, coon and grinners. He was the real deal!! I wish I could have spent more time learning this trade from him at his fur store
That's awesome. I would cherish those memories.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
trappin4reds2010 said:
You aren't kiddin! Put a few miles on the boots today. I think I might take my next grouse to get my picture in the paper! Lol
Unfortunately, I have had pretty much the same experience with grouse the last few years. The habitat in my area has gotten better so it is extra concerning for me.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cooncrazy said:
we had to get beaver tagged?
I remember that! The PGC used to announce when they would have these beaver tagging sessions.

I never dealt with that because beaver were real rare in this area when I first started trapping. Speaking of times changing, I know of at least 5 active beaver dams within a 6 mile radius of my house. Back in the late 70's early 80's you were lucky to find one active beaver dam within a 30 mile radius.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
only run in with the commish was over tagging beaver. I called to set up a appointment,never got a call back.when the warden did show up he confiscated my fur and fined me 100.00! glad I don't gotta do that anymore!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts