The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you that remember my litter of Walker pups...

me and my buddy both kept a male...

heres my pup "through the ages..."

biggest pup in the litter!

here he is at 9 months old...

(he is the one on the tree)

(he is the one closest to me)

his litter mate brother is the other dog in the last 2 pics...

my buddy started working with his pup in oct or nov...

i started mine 2 weeks ago...those pics of him treeing is the first coon he has EVER seen...

Saturday nite, he treed his first..i took him out and walked him in the woods..he sniffed a ton but never opened on track..still shy and afraid of the dark...i got to a creek bottom and heard 2 boars fighting...he came unglued..he knew what they were and he wanted a piece of them!

he hit the creek and didnt know what to do...i helped him get across and he ran track and treed one!!

last nite he ran track and was struggling..i found the coon up a tree and he ran the track to the tree and i got him fired up...

3rd coon, i found up in a tree...i sat down on a log and let him hunt...figured id give him a half hour and see what he does...he ran track real nice and came over and hit the tree and started treeing..before i could get up he hit the ground and ran 5yds and treed on another tree...couldnt figure out why..small tree i didnt see a coon in...he treed hard...i shined it and found that tree ran into a big limb of the other tree and a coon was sitting on that limb...one coon ran up the big tree and the other ran up the smaller tree...

hes coming along nice...shows alot of potential...

some would say driving to Missouri to breed our female is "crazy"...but, we got 2 9 month old pups treeing their own coon with very little work...

great lookin dogs and B I G mouths...very happy with what we are seeing thus far! real nice pups...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
They are both classy looking dogs and doing a great job for their age.
I can remember an old hunter telling me that a coon dog should not be started until 2 years old. I think one would miss a lot of hunting if he waited that long.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx guys! thought y'all would like to see them growin up and hear on their progress!

i picked Duke based on color alone LOL...he had the least amount of white...white on a walker pup is likely to stay white..black will stay black and some will typically turn brown...

different hunters have different theories on what age to start hunting a coon dog...my buddy started his in October...i didnt start mine till a few weeks ago...if it wasnt so dang warm this winter, i would have waited..but, i caught some coon in coyote traps and it was warm out..so i started him...both dogs are hunting near the same right now...mine is coming along easier and faster than my buddies did at first...im pretty sure its because mine was older and more mature..

just depends on the dog and its maturity level..some 1 year old dogs act like puppies and just wanna play, short attention spans, cant focus on one thing very long etc...some are ready at 6-8 months..

i wouldnt push a young pup...if they aint interested in it, dont push it on them...give em another few months and try it again...

my pup showed me he was ready...treeing barn cats and squirrels on the farm is the first sign they might be ready...showed him a caged coon and he came unglued..foaming at the mouth mad goin nuts...let the coon loose and he REALLY came unglued..let him loose and he slammed the tree and treed it hard...he told me he was ready...

now that im hunting him, i dont push him...i pick my nites and go when i have the best chance of finding a hot track for him...try to keep the hunts short and if he acts bored or tired, we go home..i dont expect him to blow through the timber when i take the lead off...

he is actually doing well..starting to range out some on his own already which is good...when he finds a track he gives it a great effort..

A LOT of time goes into the making of a good dog..

i also competition hunt...HOPEFULLY my pup is doing well and i can start hunting him in the hunts later this spring...if he keeps comin along, he might be ready...

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

pic taken tonite...Duke is 10 months and a few days old now..hes doing well..still isnt a world class coon dog...but, hes coming along right nice..some better weather and more time in the woods and i think he'll turn out to be a coon dog...starting to put it all together and gaining confidence with every track and tree..thats what i like to see at this age...progression and effort...hes getting better with every track he runs...i can sit down on a log and he goes hunting...not blowing out of the woodlot yet...but he is starting to range out there and hunt the woodlot i turn him loose in..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice looking dog & write up. I tend to like Walkers with more brown or black on them than white. Most of all, I like a big crisp bawl mouth on track. To me there's nothing better.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
cool pics and awesome dogs. brings back memorys.in high school i had 2 walkers, bud and whitey i really didnt know what i was doing and nobody i knew coon hunted and no internet back then. me and the dogs had alot of fun anyway. would love to get back into it one of these days. thanks for shareing

·
Registered
355 Posts
great lookin dogs! an they seem to be doin a great job...i catch sum crap sumtimes about starting a dog at a young age but if they show interest an they want it then I'm ok with it my new pup is six months old an was on his frist caged coon at 4 months by accident! due to the old lady but he went nuts got scratched on the nose an wanted more! few weeks later took him on a long walk in the woods at frist light half hour later he was acting funny was sniffing hard so let him lead the way an he ended up finding one in a downed tree an went nuts had to tear him off it he never opened on track thow? so i let him sit up for a lil while took him an my 1 1/2 year old gyp out an they treeded two coons....sum dogs just start younger then others ig...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts