The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a remedial class in Flintlocking
101!

Went out yesterday and missed twice at the same group of 12 deer. Both shots under 50y!

They even gave me time to reload for a 3rd shot, but I only had 2 tags and did not want to shoot again before checking for sign.

I think they were standing there laughing at me!

How did anyone ever survive back in the Colonial times?!

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
RutNut said:
Went out yesterday and missed twice at the same group of 12 deer. Both shots under 50y!
Been there done that. Makes getting one that much more special when it happens. Hang in there Perry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Missed one today at about 50ft. I think I need a little more practice. However I did hit my target perfect on the unloading shot. Maybe I just get too excited.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gene!

I'm hangin'................but it's been tough the last 3 years. No shots 3 years ago. Last year missed twice, but the first one I assumed was due to a loose sight. The second time after sighting in, I thought I hit a branch. Now 2 more this year.

I think I may be flinching. When I unloaded, I didn;t even hit the target last night.

I'm not gonna give up, but will take the bow out until I can practice more this summer.

The irony was that those deer probably would have walked by me at 5 yards if I had let them walk a little further. (THe first shot was closer to 30y!) They had no clue I was standing there next to that tree.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Nothing seems so useless as practicing during the offseason. Except when you're dragging out a deer, on a frigid hunting day, after one shot.

As the British often said, ---the battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton. That games in school led to the defeated of Napolean in war.

Missed Pike and Monroe, due to rehab, this year. Good to know you hunters left some deer behind. The Marines probably never taught you either, about prior proper preparation....

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
It is an overused cliche, but, "aim small to miss small" works for me with the open sights of a flintlock. Just like your bow, you have to ignore the deer's body and pick a small aiming spot for a broadside behind the shoulder.

And, the flintlock requires quite a bit of range time until you subconsciously can ignore the pan explosion, concentrating fully on sighting, especially the front sight.

Don't give up! You'll get it, and on your next visit to the Gunmakers Fair at Dixon's, bring your checkbook!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mus42tang said:
Missed Pike and Monroe, due to rehab, this year. Good to know you hunters left some deer behind.
Yeah, there are some still wandering onto S.F. from the private communities. I walked in on an old overgrown forest road 1 mile. I didn;t cut tracks for the first 8/10 ths of a mile.

mus42tang said:
The Marines probably never taught you either, about prior proper preparation....
Yeah, and I was only in the Boy Scouts for a few months when I was younger, so I didn;t learn anything from them either!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BerksCoflinter said:
Don't give up! You'll get it, and on your next visit to the Gunmakers Fair at Dixon's, bring your checkbook!
Don't worry Berks...............I won't give up! I'm too stubborn! Just blowin' off some steam. WOrse comes to worse, I just wait for the deer to come in to spittin' distance and club the darn thing over the head with it!

BTW- I gotta kill something with this one first..............before I buy another one!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I spend a lot of time at the range. Many of the same people are there time and time again. All they do is shoot from a bench and brag about their groups. Offhand some couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. Practice how you hunt!!

Bill

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Anyone know who coined that phrase-----"aim small to miss small" ----- oh yea its on the front of my Muzzleloading shirt from Muzzleloader Mag.

·
Registered
539 Posts
What we need is a 50 yard running deer target and about 1o pounds of powder. Peep sights have really improved my accuracy at the range. When they run by me at 30 yards I just can't bring myself to take a pot shot. Off hand at 50 yards I yank down a foot. Attached to a tree its about 6 inches and on a bench I'm dead on. Its hard to think about when the deer are jogging past. Many Many guys miss just as bad with a scope on a rifle. One thing about the flinter it has made my more modern weapons easier to shoot.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think the key to shooting a flintlock well can be summed up in two words FOLLOW THROUGH after the shot the gun should still be on your shoulder and you should still be looking down the sites at your intended target.
Most guys never get away from the shooting bench (this applies to the centerfire guys also)Learn to shoot off hand ,sitting ,knealing,leaning aginst a tree and the missing will be a whole lot less!!!!!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I have to work on that follow thru thing!

Also will do alot of different practice this summer as alot of you have suggested. Will try to get a cardboard deer and shoot at that too. Try to make it as realistic as possible.

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Me too. I managed to miss another one on the last day. I like the cardboard deer idea and lots of practice. Gonna be ordering up my supplies shortly.

·
Registered
12,370 Posts
At the Tomahawks Muzzleloader club in York County, they sometimes have a match in which the target is placed inside a tire and rolled down hill across the range. Almost a running deer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts