The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been catching a lot of raccoons in dirtholes for fox. I remake the set just like I would if I caught a red. Problem is I have not had any fox touch the sets after the coon catches. Do you guys use a new trap and make a set at a new location or just do what I have been doing? Thanks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Personally I think it depends on the pressure. If there is a lot of trapping pressure around you, they can be fussy about circles. Particularly circles that have a very pronounced edge. If it doesn't look like a UFO landing site, I put the set back just the same. If it does, I'll remake the set right on the edge of the circle so he doesn't have to commit to the circle and then commit to the set itself after it enters.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
If only a single set put in another a few feet away and you will know. Doubles are good, triples even better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually put in double sets. Problem is I have been catching way more than normal coons. I've had two doubles on coon in my fox sets and no foxes since I caught the coons. And I have a limited number of traps so I don't want to clean and wax if I don't have to.

·
Registered
932 Posts
sheesh said:
And I have a limited number of traps so I don't want to clean and wax if I don't have to.

Coon really shine a trap. Rust will show up soon, especially with weather we are having.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts