The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my daily walk to check my traps I noticed that something had been caught in on of my sets but eventually escaped. I looked for prints to see what it might have been but the ground was pretty hard and I couldn't find any prints. You can see in the picture that it started to form a catch circle before it got out. As this is my first year trapping I was unsure on whether to remake the set or move the trap? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If that was a canine then odds are you will have to pick him up in a completely different looking and smelling set. Was there any fur in the jaws? I would personal probably remake a set right on the edge of that circle since it has a pretty pronounced edge. Are your swivels fouled up? How long is your chain/ cable apparatus? From the pic it looks like you have a trap chain and then some cable for a total of about 18 inches. The more momentum they can create the easier they can yank out if the catch isn't secure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't recall the total length with the chain and cable but your guess is probably close. I'll see if I can shorten it up. There was absolutely no fur in the jaws at all. I don't know if it makes a difference but it's an older victor trap that my grandfather gave me, he said it was for fox and that's what I was trying for in that set. The springs seemed strong when was making adjustments to the trap before the season. I just installed all new swivels and when I examined the set they still looked good. I'll try remaking the set on the edge of the circle and see what happens.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would remake it and leave it. Im sure there is more than one K9 in the area you may have educated one but with the catch circle eye appear good chance youll pick up a different one. Id alsi put in a shadow set ( secondary) like a scent post within a reasonable distance (sight) along the edge of your travelway

·
Registered
991 Posts
If you lost a fox, most times you can smell it because it takes very little time until they urinate once they are caught. If it is a burn from a K9 you've got yourself something good to work with and under no circumstances should you not remake the set.

·
Registered
626 Posts
important sidenote. possum do NOT always urinate when caught.got one all ready to skin today and had a lil surprise when i squeezed her. nice big full bladder!

·
Registered
436 Posts
definitely remake. i had a red pullout the other day, i'm assuming. smelled like a red. i wont get THAT red in that set again, but that set just got a whole lot better for anything else floating around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts