The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years back I bought a Spratan 210 SxS in a 16 gauge and am kind of happy, kind of not with the purchase.

The good - bought for $350 new, choke tubes, ejectors, single trigger, barrel selector, cheap enough to bust brush and not worry about the gun. What else could you ask for in a shotgun, It's got all of the features, right?

Bad - the trigger is very sharp and cut me up pretty good (fixed with black tape)
heavy
the safety slide slides over a small ball, the ball had a ring of rust around it and the safety would not go off on the first flush of the day yesterday (drop of oil when done hunting should solve the problem)
the wood is horrible (already fading big time)

Anyone else have any experience with Spartans, any problems, or any praises?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Junk why? What is your experience?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
It costs more to build a gun with 2 barrels and have it reliable. You can cut costs by having it made in a country with cheap labor and cut corners in the finish and refinement areas and maybe even on design and materials.

What you get is a cheapened version that isn't very reliable.

Regulating 2 barrels is expensive.

Yours may go bang.

If you ever get the chance to shoot one that is even in the $800 range (which is still dirt cheap for a sxs) you will notice the difference. However, once you get above the $3000 grand mark, most of the difference between guns is in the artistry of the engraving and grade of the wood.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Drgnarr said:
Junk why? What is your experience?
Stocks cracking, extractors bending, rough triggers all of that on guns less than 2 years old. I will never waste any money on a cheaply made over under. I can not understand what ever happened to Remington. They use to be known for quality products and any more all of there firearms are just cheaply made or overpriced scrap metal.

·
Registered
25,495 Posts
The Spartan line was imported, as well as the Mauser-type rifles and several other shotguns sold under the Remington name. The Mausers were made in what was Yugoslavia, some of the shotguns were made in Russia, some in Turkey.

I think they all have now been dropped and are no longer sold as Remingtons? Most of them were formerly imported by KBI in Harrisburg and sold as Charles Dalys, before Remington stuck their nose in it.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I bought a Spartin (Baikal) O/U several years ago with the intent of beating that gun like a red headed step-child. And, I have! When it breaks, I'll contact Numrich and see if there is a market for parts and take it from there. I have heard that gunsmiths won't touch them. I have droped it down hills, in mud and water, drageed it along the ground while flushing grouse in heavy cover and never once blinked an eye. It's worked every time and I know that someday it will fail. Until then, that little 20 ga just keeps on ticking.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I bought a 20ga Baikal about 5 years ago to use when training my dogs. I wanted something cheep that I would not mind getting scratched and beat up. It has never let me down yet. I use it all summer for training and in the fall for my "truck" gun and bad weather hunting. It doesn't have the fit and finish of the high priced guns but I have found mine to be very reliable. When it was new it was very stiff to open but after a few cases of shells it works a lot smoother. I have a lot of shotguns that are higher priced that I cant shoot any better with.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It works, has some flaws, but like stated a few times, I don't feel bad busting brush with it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have used one for years now. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Maybe not the prettiest one around, doesn't swing as nice as a B525 but it works and keeps killing birds without breaking the bank. I agree, the wood will have to be refinished at some point but that's a quick DIY job.
Seems they are now imported by http://www.ussginc.com, they sell spares too.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Spartan, as in minimal.....primitive. Not bashing them, Remington markets them as a no frills (Spartan), nothing fancy, basic gun. As long as you realize that's what you're getting when you plunk your money down. There made for just what some guys are doing with them on here. Use it, abuse it, when it fails throw it away. The disatisfaction comes when someone buys one and expects it to be up to the quality of an 870 or 1100 because its a remington. At this price point usually quality will be variable at best. I've learned many times cheap is expensive. Quality=Pay once, cry once. Cheap= Pay twice cry twice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have had a spartan 210 nickel receiver side by side for years now and it kills just as good as my mossy 500. It is rugged, durable, reliable, and from taking it on many hunts it proved itself as a well made weapon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts