The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a Remington model 7 tomorrow it's a .308 dark walnut satin finish blued metal with iron sights any input? Looking to get a scope will a 3-9x40 clear iron sights with medium rings or will I have to go with a 2-7? Hope to find a Leupold gloss finish

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Nice, congrats, I think you will love it, I've been wanting one in 7mm-08. I would think med rings should clear the irons.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I have been using Model Seven Remingtons for my woods rifle for around 25 years. I personally would take the iron sights off and plug the holes.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If the scope is short enough might not even come close. They scope I have on mine doesn't even make it to the back of the ramp. If it's as good as mine, the bullet hits where ever I put the crosshairs. It'll cloverleaf at 100yrds and anything inside of 50 makes one ragged hole(if I do my part). Never had a deer run more than 15yrds using Win 150gr factory ammo. Heck, I've had it for 20 years and I don't know if the scope caps come off, I've never had to adjust it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have one in 7mm 08. Years ago I took the iron sights off and plugged the holes. It is my favorite of my center fire rifles.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
I bought a ss/synthetic in .308 when they first came out.I could never get it to do much better than 2" but I made some of my best shots with that rifle.I have another one in .243 for my kids and that one shoots well under an inch.I think I'm gonna grab another one in .223.I realy like them but can't understand why they discontinued the ss/syn.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I have one in a 260 and found out grouping let each shot cool down, that pencil barrel gets hot quick. Also being light in weight hold on to it good in the rest.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yes.. med. scopes will be ok for a 3x9x40 slide a dollar bill underneath the barrel down along the stock, take note where the bill binds.. remove the barrel/action assy. take a deep socket slightly smaller in dia. than the stock cut out and sand down those high spots until the bill slides down the whole way to the end , remount barrel. mount scopes.. your Model 7 will group Factory .308 inside 1.5 inches..

good luck enjoy your Model 7

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
NiceRack! said:
Yes.. med. scopes will be ok for a 3x9x40 slide a dollar bill underneath the barrel down along the stock, take note where the bill binds.. remove the barrel/action assy. take a deep socket slightly smaller in dia. than the stock cut out and sand down those high spots until the bill slides down the whole way to the end , remount barrel. mount scopes.. your Model 7 will group Factory .308 inside 1.5 inches..

good luck enjoy your Model 7
When you're done floating that bbl please seal up the wood! You'll thank yourself later when you're hunting in the rain or the temp swings and the wood absorbs moisture and swells against the bbl causing all kinds of funky accuracy....or lack thereof. I use Tru-Oil myself cause it's cheap and I have it. Poly or lacquer or anything for sealing wood works.

·
Registered
868 Posts
You'll have terrible experiences trying to get it to shoot well. Sell it to me to avoid the frustrations!

Really though, you'll love the little gun as I have two--a 6mm and a .243--and they both shoot really well and are a treat to carry. I would also suggest you removed the iron sights and put fill plugs in, but be sure to package and store in your safe to avoid losing them.

Enjoy!

Mark

·
Registered
698 Posts
I Have the same rifle, I bought new in 1990. I took off the rear sight. Gun shoots great! Don't shoot more than a couple shots with out letting the little barrel cool or it will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have had a 7mm-08 since 1990. I have a 2.5-8 Leupold scope on mine with no clearance issues. The rifle shoots around an inch for three shots. It has killed about 20 deer-I also use several other rifles, but if I had to pick just one for deer hunting, it would be my Model 7.

Will

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if any companies make 2 piece mounts BLUED for the older model 7 that's only 3 holes drilled and tspped????

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
You are pretty much stuck with the one piece mount if you don't want to drill and tap. I went three years and several hundred rounds with a set of Tally light weights. I ran one fastener blue lock tighted (sp) to the rear of the receiver. I never had a problem but it was always in the back of my mind. I think DeadNutz makes a pretty nice one piece mount for the Seven.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just don't want the iron sights to be in the view I the scope I have a 3-9x38 wide angle I'm going to put on it with medium Leupold std rings I think I should be fine!!! That's after drilling and tapping a 4th hole so I can use 2 piece mounts!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts