The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a tough time finding a gunsmith where i live and i need to get this fixed, i have a rem 788 .243, on the back end of the bolt assembly, there looks to be a stop its a small piece of metal that sticks up out of the trigger assembly to retain the bolt when ejecting, this piece has broke off and now the bolt just slides right out, looking for some help if anyone could that would be great

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
There is no stop on the bolt on a 788
The stop protrudes up from inside the action and is activated when you push the safety forward. I would look for replacement parts at a gun show. Didn't pull mine apart prior to writing this but if you need pictures or anything let me know and I'll take some time and pull it a part

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alrighty thanks alot yeah, i was thinking it come up from there, it appears to be a small piece of metal sticking up there, need to get it taken care of its about time to get after the yotes i got about 35 58 gr vmax that are a little angry that ive neglected them some fur for a while now haha merry christmas sir

·
Registered
949 Posts
If the bolt stop is sheared off, it should be replaceable, or you can put an aftermarket trigger on it. The first thing I would check is the existing trigger/safety and make sure it is clean and not gummed up, give it a good cleaning with a cleaner such as lighter fluid to break up the oils which may have seeped into the trigger/bolt stop and may be gumming up. Is the safety working properly? There is a spring below the bolt stop, that may be broken and not pushing the bolt stop up to engage the bolt.

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rs thanks for the reply, i took it out and cleaned it, but then on further inspection i can see the metal is sheared clean off, the safety still works properly, but when fired the bolt slide the entire way out!

·
Banned
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guys thanks for all your help rs i followed the link and ordered the parts, got the new spring too while i was putting new bolt stop in i figured i may as well replace the spring too!!! thanks so much

·
Registered
25,641 Posts
It's a bit tricky but not all that difficult. Last I knew, Wisner's was about the only source for M788 bolt stop pins.

Put one in a relative's rifle about two or three years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts