The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

rem model 7 compact

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  dce 
#1 ·
I was at Grices this weekend and was glad to see that Rem is back in the youth game with a compact model 7.My son's birthday is tomorrow so I'll probably pick him up a .243 this week.Years ago,I had a ss/synth in .308.To this day it was one of my favorite rifles but it wasn't all that accurate.Are the model 7's still hit and miss or have they gotten better?

I figured I'd put a harris bipod on it and let him burn through a couple hundred reduced rounds to see if he's ready to shoot a deer this fall.I had no intentions of letting him hunt this fall as he just turns 7 tomorrow but he won't let up on me.We just went through his second brick of 22 shells since Christmas and he's doing alot better than I expected him to do.I hate to rush these things.

#2 ·
I have a model 7 and love it...That being said it is not as accurate as my Model 700 bdl..BUT...My opinion on that is it is marginally less accurate...and what you give up in accuracy is more than made up in the light weight and short design of the gun. As far as I am concerned there isnt a better set up for trucking the PA mountainess terrain than the model 7. If you are looking for a gun that is going to drop 3 shots in a group the size of a dime then look elsewhere...If you are looking for a great hunting gun...Then this combo is second to none.

Note: I have found that I rarely get a shot outside 150 yards in pa and though my Model 700 is more accurate...the Model 7 is still proven killer without a doubt in that range.

#4 ·
My Model 7 compact in .243 will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with about any factory EXCEPT remington until the barrel starts to heat up...but you should only need one shot anyways right? Weird how a Remmy rifle just hates Remmy ammo...

#5 ·
My Model 7 FS in 7mm-08 has become my "go to" rifle through the years..Shot a truck load of bucks with it....Love the old classic Winchesters and Remingtons but when I take the Model 7 out...I see deer... And get them...Funny thing how some rifles are lucky ones and others aren't..Sad and sweet at the same time!

#7 ·
my first rifle was a remington model 7 youth in 7mm-08 in which my dad bought for me when i was 11 years old. i killed a pile of deer with that gun for about the first 6 or 7 years of my hunting career, and since then i bought a few more rifles. I recently decided i wanted to go back to the model 7 because its so light and handy, so i found a model 7 cdl full size stock for it on ebay for 100 bucks. The stock was a factory reject because the grip cap was slightly mis shaped. I put the stock on and took it to the range and fired 3 shots almost dead center in the bull 1" group. This gun is a tackdriver at 100 yards, and after buying a remington and 2 weatherby's since this gun, i've opted to go back to the good old model 7. By far the best PA deer rifle you can own imo.

#8 ·
I won one in a gun drawing two years. I really like it.

I had trouble getting it to shoot accurately, even with many different handloads. Finally, my friend removed some plastic from the very front of the stock. Now it shoots pretty well. More than accurate enough for my style of PA deer hunting.

What I like most about it, is that is so light and short that I can stand dead still with the gun at my side, just hanging and it doesn't touch the ground. Makes it a lot easier to stand motionless.

#9 ·
I ended up buying the gun on saturday along with a harris bipod,dies and one box of fatory ammo.I put a Bushnell elite shortmag scope on it that I had laying around.At 50 yards,it took me three shots to get it dialed in.I had every intention of loading some rounds down for my son using H4895 but decided to let him shoot the factory ones.A .243 isn't an obnoxious kicker but he's only 7 years old.He shoots hundreds of .22 rounds so he understands breathing,follow throiugh etc. but he's never shot anything with recoil or that kind of muzzle blast.To my surprise he took seven shots without flinching,sitting on the ground with the bipod.He definately felt the recoil but he said it didn't hurt and he had plenty of eye relief.I had him shooting at a shotgun patterning target with a red dot in the middle about the size of a clay bird.Every one of the 7 shots hit the red.He wanted to shoot more so later on I put a sillouette of a deer out and let him take five more at about 65 yards.Once again,the gun seemed to fit him pretty good and laid all 5 in the vitals.Today I plan on picking up some components and loading up about a 100 rounds of slightly reduced loads.I told him if he burns through a couple hundred rounds this summer and I feel confident he can kill a deer,I'll let him hunt.I'm a little wishy washy about letting a 7 year old hunt but we'll see how it goes by the time hunting season rolls around.He'll go through through at least another brick of .22 shells and a couple hundred centerfire rounds so I'm fairly confident he'll be able to make it happen.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.