The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
put my 870 on target today and shot 13 slugs out of it and no bruses on my shoulder or anything.shot 5 brenneke 3inch and 8 hornaday sst 2 3/4. the new recoil pads on the remington shotguns are awesome. the only thing I have to complain about is how loud the gun is, loudest shotgun ive ever had. im also very pleased with the nikon 7X32 scope.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
those nikons are awesome. I bought one to put on my ithaca, but gave it to my little cousin for his new 870. after looking through my 4.5x, and then his 7x, wow what a difference. as for the hornady's, I will never use them after what I saw yesterday. we were shotting them out of my cousins 20g 870, and they wouldn't pass through a pice of 1/2" plywood at 100yds. I couldn't belive it. I also don't like how little they expand. you could put 6 of them inside the hole one Brenneke makes. hehehe keep an eye on them Turkey, just wanted to give you a heads up.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jun1or said:
those nikons are awesome. I bought one to put on my ithaca, but gave it to my little cousin for his new 870. after looking through my 4.5x, and then his 7x, wow what a difference. as for the hornady's, I will never use them after what I saw yesterday. we were shotting them out of my cousins 20g 870, and they wouldn't pass through a pice of 1/2" plywood at 100yds. I couldn't belive it. I also don't like how little they expand. you could put 6 of them inside the hole one Brenneke makes. hehehe keep an eye on them Turkey, just wanted to give you a heads up.
thanks for the input I will never be using them AGAIN. they are junk. next time I go buy slugs im stickin with brennekes and coppersolids.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
turkey4life said:
jun1or said:
thanks for the input I will never be using them AGAIN. they are junk. next time I go buy slugs im stickin with brennekes and coppersolids.
thats all I shoot, brennekes and coppersolids. here's another horror story from the hornadys. the nieghbors shot a fawn tuesday morning and it ran on our property. my buddy helped them track it and ended up getting to shoot it. he put two hornadys in its head and the deer didn't die. I've seen him shoot a few deer that I know wouldn't have ran or lived through what they did if they were shot with something besides a hornady. I'm glad I may have saved you some headache and heartache. I'm gotton some flack from a few guys that swear by them, but after I saw them bounce off plywood at 100yds I knew my opinion was correct. no expansion, and no penetration means lost and wounded deer.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jun1or said:
turkey4life said:
jun1or said:
thats all I shoot, brennekes and coppersolids. here's another horror story from the hornadys. the nieghbors shot a fawn tuesday morning and it ran on our property. my buddy helped them track it and ended up getting to shoot it. he put two hornadys in its head and the deer didn't die. I've seen him shoot a few deer that I know wouldn't have ran or lived through what they did if they were shot with something besides a hornady. I'm glad I may have saved you some headache and heartache. I'm gotton some flack from a few guys that swear by them, but after I saw them bounce off plywood at 100yds I knew my opinion was correct. no expansion, and no penetration means lost and wounded deer.
yeah it took me shooting a deer on monday and it getting away to stop using them.im not gonna discribe the story in detail because I dont want any flack. I was not very happy and im still angry . im gonna use a diffrent gun till I can get some more brennekes and or coppersolids for the 12ga.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took the rest of the hornaday ammo I had left back and got some winchester supreme partition golds. realy didnt want to pay that much for sabots but atleast the deer will drop stone dead.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
turkey4life said:
took the rest of the hornaday ammo I had left back and got some winchester supreme partition golds. realy didnt want to pay that much for sabots but atleast the deer will drop stone dead.
Since when can you return ammo?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buk_Huntir said:
turkey4life said:
since I know the owner of the store. I only took the boxes I had not used yet back.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Ok. I just thought it was like a federal law or something that you couldnt return ammo, opened or unopened. ???

Thats cool you know someone that carries it. Cheap ammo is always good.

What kinda brennekes shot well out of your 870?
turkey4life said:
Buk_Huntir said:
turkey4life said:
since I know the owner of the store. I only took the boxes I had not used yet back.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buk_Huntir said:
Ok. I just thought it was like a federal law or something that you couldnt return ammo, opened or unopened. ???

turkey4life said:
Buk_Huntir said:
turkey4life said:
federal law?
please explain. is this true?

the brenneke 3in k.o sabots shot well in it.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
turkey4life said:
Buk_Huntir said:

turkey4life said:
Buk_Huntir said:
turkey4life said:
federal law?

I have no clue if it is or not? I figured all ammo/gun stuff was federally regulated. You cant return ammo at any store that I know of. All ammo sales are final. Cabelas, BP, GM, Wally World. Maybe the little stores you can return it?

I just ordered some green lightnings to try out.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buk_Huntir said:
turkey4life said:
Buk_Huntir said:

turkey4life said:
Buk_Huntir said:
turkey4life said:
federal law?

I have no clue if it is or not? I figured all ammo/gun stuff was federally regulated. You cant return ammo at any store that I know of. All ammo sales are final. Cabelas, BP, GM, Wally World. Maybe the little stores you can return it?

I just ordered some green lightnings to try out.
they should shoot well. ive never had any trouble with brennekes and neither has anyone I know. just be sure to stay away from the hornaday ssts no matter what good anyone has to say about them.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
turkey4life said:
they should shoot well. ive never had any trouble with brennekes and neither has anyone I know. just be sure to stay away from the hornaday ssts no matter what good anyone has to say about them.
Good cause I ordered 8 boxes...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Wow! Glad I caught this thread. After experimenting with a few brands I finally setteled on the Hornaday SSTs. My Mossberg 500 was shooting inch and a half groups at 100 yards.

PM me the details Turkey... They're all I have right now. Let's hope they hold up to some deer in the AM.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bamsdealer said:
Wow! Glad I caught this thread. After experimenting with a few brands I finally setteled on the Hornaday SSTs. My Mossberg 500 was shooting inch and a half groups at 100 yards.

PM me the details Turkey... They're all I have right now. Let's hope they hold up to some deer in the AM.
pm sent

·
Registered
637 Posts
It is my understanding that you shoot a rifled slug, like a Brenneke or Foster type, out of a smooth Slug Barrel, and a Sabot out of a Rifled one. If you put a Brenneke through a rifled barrel you will likely have problems with it, and vice/versa with sabots in a smooth bore.

·
Registered
653 Posts
try lightfields,,, the only things that i use, and i'm getting like 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you got it, except for the brennekes. read the brenneke boxs. they say for rifled and smooth barrels. the only brennekes that cant be put down rifled barrels are the brenneke (classics) and yes I use a rifled barrel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts