The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice...Have a Rem 870 12ga with a Hastings Slug barrel. The barrel is the model with the built in muzzlebrake that is tapered to control the sabot being discarded. I've tried Federal & Winchester slugs as Hastings recommends, along with every other name brand of slugs I could find. The gun will not group at 100yds. Best group are 6-8". Scope is a Leupold 4x, and I even sent the scope back to Leupold to have it checked.

The barrel will not group...I spent enough $$$ on slugs that I could have bought a new gun. Only advice from Hastings was to use Federal or Winchester slugs.

Ironically, I bought my son a Hastings barrel for his 870 20ga without the muzzlebrake, and I can get that gun to hold 2" groups with any ammo at 100yds.

Was thinking I should have a gunsmith cut the muzzlebrake off the barrel.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
861 Posts
A hunting buddy of mine had the same problem but he has an 1100 with the muzzel break. Like you, he spent a ton of money on slugs, and talk to a rep from hastings and they told him the same thing "winchesters or federals". Well nothing worked and after all he got some hastings sabots, and they shoot great at 100yards. But the slugs are a lot heavier than any other slugs out there. I believe its something like 547 grains. Give them a try if you haven't already, but hopefully you get it figured out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I ordered a few boxes of the Hastings shells, and will give them a try.

·
Registered
861 Posts
35, I did a little research today because i never heard anything about them going out of business and found out that they made the annoucement in mid december '09 and their closing their doors at the end of december '09. Also, a company in france made their barrels, Hastings was just an importer and Another guy has the rights to their ammo. So hopefully the guy that has the ammo rights keeps making their ammo.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Lucky... Thank's for the update.. Hopefully their ammo will be around for awhile for those that use it. I guess if you really like it, you may want to stock up on it..

·
Registered
217 Posts
We had a hastings barrel on an 870 a few years ago with the same problem. I called hastings and they told me that their barrels were made to shot a 2" group at 50 yds. I asked if they were "joking", they said no. I told them that our smooth barrel with a side mount base would do better than that. A friend has a mossburg sulg barrel for his 870 that shoots very well with both federal & lightfield slugs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a Hastings on my 870 it shoots great with Feds in 2 3/4" sabots.Never needed to shoot 3" not unless your hunt'in bear.Plus alot easier on the shoulder.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate everybody's input. I opted to buy a Mossberg barrel for the 870. I'm hoping it shoots better than the Hastings barrel did. And I have a whole selection of slugs to run thru it from every manufacturer thanks to all my attempts to get the Hastings to shoot right. Got the summer to test them all out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Remington Buckhammers shoot pretty decent out to 150yds out of my Hastings Paradox Muzzlebreak 870 barrel.

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
turkey4life said:
is it a cantilever barrel or do you have the scope mounted to ther receiver?
That wasn't answered, was it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry limbhnger10, I missed your question earlier. It is a cantilever barrel with a muzzlebrake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts