The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about picking a gun to do drives with. Currently I am thinking about the rem 7600. What are your thoughts? Also, what scope would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I own a 7600 Syn/Matte 30/06 Carbine. Mine sits under a Leupold Vari X III 1.75 X 6 power. Very handy in the woods. I find myself carrying it more and more even though I have a number of other more expensive rifles to choose from.I can't think of a better rifle for close range Deer and Bear hunting.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
7600 would work nicely I have a 760 its a nice gun. Look at the 4-12 x 40mm redfield scopes. they have 3-9x models as well but the 4-12x has 4.9" of eye relief which you cant beat and at $219 the price isnt bad either.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Great rifle! They are very accurate as well. I have a Rem 760 in 30-06 that my father has been using. It has a Leupold VXII 3-9x40 on it. You will like the 7600. What cal are you looking at? One in .270win, 7mm-08 or 30-06 would be nice!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking either the 270 or 30.06. Leaning towards 30 06. Is anyone using red dot scopes on them. hmm Red dot scopes even legal? A lot of time s in the thick stuff I hunt, I don;t really need much more than x2.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
sch Co said:
I was thinking either the 270 or 30.06. Leaning towards 30 06. Is anyone using red dot scopes on them. hmm Red dot scopes even legal? A lot of time s in the thick stuff I hunt, I don;t really need much more than x2.
That's why I put a 1.75 x 6 power Leupold on my Carbine. On 1.75X it's GREAT for close and fast shots.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
From my experience stay away from red dot scopes the batteries will die when you need it most. Had it happen to me with an xbow before I started using a compound. Use a low power scope 2-7 with 4+ inches of eye relief that way when you pull the gun up its there no messing around to get a good sight picture.

I've had scopes that have had short eye relief I suffered for years. My last scope bought has 4.9 inches of eye relief on 4 power and 3.7 inches at 12 power. It makes getting a good consistent sight picture quick and easy. No more messing around to get it right.

If you are worried about finding the critter in the scope try picking up the gun and looking through the scope with both eyes open like with a shotgun you should be pretty close to on target.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
nomad_archer said:
From my experience stay away from red dot scopes the batteries will die when you need it most. Had it happen to me with an xbow before I started using a compound. Use a low power scope 2-7 with 4+ inches of eye relief that way when you pull the gun up its there no messing around to get a good sight picture.

I've had scopes that have had short eye relief I suffered for years. My last scope bought has 4.9 inches of eye relief on 4 power and 3.7 inches at 12 power. It makes getting a good consistent sight picture quick and easy. No more messing around to get it right.

If you are worried about finding the critter in the scope try picking up the gun and looking through the scope with both eyes open like with a shotgun you should be pretty close to on target.
Leupold riflescopes are known for their generous eye relief.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Nikon Prostaff straight 4x with see through mounts. Unless your taking 200 plus yard shots, in my eyes, the ultimate setup. I have it on my 760 and 7600.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
VaPa hunter said:
Nikon Prostaff straight 4x with see through mounts. Unless your taking 200 plus yard shots, in my eyes, the ultimate setup. I have it on my 760 and 7600.
See through mounts should be banned. The idea is good, but in practice they are terrible. It's hard to get a good sight with your head off the stock, and it's extremely unlikly that you would use the open sights with a scoped rifle.

I have regular 3-9's on my pump guns mounted as close to the bore as possible. When I pull up my gun I have a full field of view. I normally carry mine at 5X while sitting in most cases. A compact 2x7 would be ideal.

I've been pondering another riflr, and a carbine would be in order for most of my hunting needs. I wouldn't even buy a scope if I did. The open sights on a Remington are decent sights. I can shoot pretty good with them.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
See through mounts should be banned. The idea is good, but in practice they are terrible. It's hard to get a good sight with your head off the stock, and it's extremely unlikly that you would use the open sights with a scoped rifle.
I totally disagree. Never have had any problem at all gettting a good sight picture. The whole idea is being prepared for the case of the scope being fogged up which happens often. I killed a doe a few years ago in New York State in a snowstorm afer looking through the scope and seeing nothing but fog. Knocked her down with the open sights.

Now I can't imagine have a big buck 80 yards upwind from me, standing perfectly still, only to have a fogged scope. No thanks.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
In the event of bad weather I take an open sighted slug gun or a handgun. You can keep your high rise mounts. I'm glad you like them.

I've shot a few guns that had them, and hated them. The people I've known that thought they were great have all gotten rid of them for the reasons I stated.

But if it works for you go with it. I won't judge.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Main reason I love my 7600 is that I can work the action right or left handed. I`ve learned to shoot either right or left handed. This has come in handy when a Deer approaches from the left side. Saves a lot of shifting while in my Treestand...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts