The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Rem. 7600 carbine in 30.06 cal. a few months ago. I just put a new Redfield 2-7 scope on it (which by the way is way underpriced for what you get) and went today to shoot it in. When I was shooting on sandbags, after every shot it would eject the spent cartridge by itself. If I shot offhand the action would work about 1/6 of the way without ejecting the empty shell.
I did a Google search and believe it or not it seems to happen a lot with heavier bullets (I was shooting 180 gr. factory loads).
Anyone else have experience with this and should I be concerned, somewhat concerned, or very concerned? This is my first pumpgun and I just want to know.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Son shoots 150 grain in his 308 7600 never happened to him
i shoot 150 grain in a 760 never had that happen

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
All my Whelen pumps do it, had a 30-06 carbine that did that too. I never was concerned about it, faster second shot.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not a problem. Mine do it as well. Recoil gets the action going.....after the bullet leaves barrel. Shoot it and enjoy. Great rifles.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The old girl can't wait to spit more lead! Its not an issue to worry about, just hang on tight!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
kozman4907 said:
speed pump...lol
No kidding !!

I think Winchester actually trademarked the "Speed Pump" phrase, as that was their advertising slogan for the Model 1300 pump shotgun. Its bolt comes unlocked and the pump starts rearward instantaneously upon firing.

Sounds like the OP's 7600 works the same way.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My Rem 7600 Carbine 30/06 does the same thing. It sure is fast IF you need a followup shot.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I would be more worried if it didn't open upon firing, means the action is not slick enough for my likings.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the input guys, I feel much better! Having only ever owned bolt actions and levers it was a bit unnerving when it happened, but I am sure I will get used to it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts