The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a bit of info on the Rem 760 ADL Deluxe 5 Diamonds. Was the checkering on the stock and fore end pump done before or after the they were finished? I have seen some where the checkering looks lighter in color than the rest of the wood, as if it was done prior to staining and clear finishing being applied. While on others the checkering looks darker as if the stain and finish was applied after the checkering was done. I am trying find how they would have come from the factory. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
The checkering was called impressed/pressed checkering. It is pushed into the wood with plates that have a reversed or negative cut checkering. Like really small metal crossblades, or in the case of the BDL, a negative of cut weave.

I would assume the wood that is flattened/cut into the creases is more dense, and stain cannot work as well.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on how the checkering was applied. I was sort of thinking the checkered areas would not take the stain as much either thus making those areas appear lighter. Yet I see some where the checkered areas are darker, so I wonder if that is a sign that it may been refinished.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts