The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father just passed away and I would like to use his 721 to take a deer. I know the extractor ring is pretty well shot and will only work occasionally. Has anyone had their bolt reworked with a different extractor (a Sako, AR 15, something else)? And if so, how did you like it and who did the work?

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
My father just passed away and I would like to use his 721 to take a deer. I know the extractor ring is pretty well shot and will only work occasionally. Has anyone had their bolt reworked with a different extractor (a Sako, AR 15, something else)? And if so, how did you like it and who did the work?

Thanks for any replies.
i bought an old remington 721 in 300 H&H mag about 40 years ago and the extractor ring was like yours. took it to a gun shop and they sent it back to Remington and they put a brand new bolt in it. being that it was a magnum rifle Remington wanted the rifle so they could headspace it correctly. you might consider doing the same thing just to be save. what caliber is your rifle.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Remington 721/722 started production in 1948.....Korean War was 1950-53...not certain if his service was related to that conflict, but just sayin'.:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
i would take the ejector and spring out and clean it and under the extractor also. i own 9 remington 721-722,s and never had a problem with them along with many others i have owned over the years. it would be nice if the cleaning fixed the problem.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remington 721/722 started production in 1948.....Korean War was 1950-53...not certain if his service was related to that conflict, but just sayin'.:)
He was 3 days out of San Francisco on a troop ship heading over when they signed the armistice. When he got there he was on the DMZ.

Just saw my mistake and will fix it. I've been off my game the last few days.

eastbank, will have to give that a try. My understand of the problem is the "O" ring that slips over the cartridge rim wears to the point that it can't hold on the the rim.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Just saw my mistake and will fix it. I've been off my game the last few days.
I figured such was the case.....I've had many such days myself......;) (y)(y)

The disassembly and thorough cleaning is not a bad idea.....I have a 722 .257 Roberts that was having firing pin problems at one point, and that solved the problem. I hope it solves yours....a simple solution.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts

Thanks for any replies.
Remington used to have a list of Authorized Remington Gunsmiths. I would check online if that list is available or call Remington and ask them and if that information is available I would call a few of them and ask if they have the part you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
the bolt face on my 721 was missing pieces of the metal that held the spring in place. there was no cleaning that would have taken care of the problem. as i said i had this done way back in the 70's before Remington started having problems. the new bolt fixed the problem and the rifle still shoots today. the only problem is as the gun got older so did i and the rifle seems to be a lot heavier. retired it and bought an 06.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with the statements above; don't even consider sending back to Remington, and have a Sako extractor installed. I have built rifles with Sako extractors, and they are far superior to the stock, riveted piece of spring steel. If you want great work, check out Montour County Rifles in Danville. Danville, PA Where accuracy is everything !!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Remington will no longer touch a 721. They have categorized them as obsolete. And there seems to be no way to obtain a 721 extractor anymore. The supply dried up. Have a gunsmith convert to a Sako extractor

Reactions: Waynzee

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Remington will no longer touch a 721. They have categorized them as obsolete. And there seems to be no way to obtain a 721 extractor anymore. The supply dried up. Have a gunsmith convert to a Sako extractor
Of course this means they no longer have anyone in house capable of the most routine of gunsmithing.....just parts assemblers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts