The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sighting in my 700 and shot several shots. The last shot I felt a slight sting in the face. The bolt would not open. Took 2 of us to pry it open. The case was stuck to the bolt. I had to pry it off. The extractor was broke.

Im not sure if this was caused by the reloads I was shooting (my late father loaded them in 1998)or if the extractor just broke allowing the case to get stuck and not allow the action to open freely.

Is it possible for the extractor to break and cause this?

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I think the load was hot.I would toss the rest for safety.At least it is an easy fix.Make sure the metal isn't in your face.Small bits don't always bleed.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may have been hot. Yes bullet exited hit about 4 inches high...Lol.

It is 30.06.

I have several boxes of them. I believe the load was 60gr of 30 31 shooting a 150 Ballistic tip. Im not home but I think I recall that was the powder load.

I hate to have to pull the bullets on all those rounds

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
You were lucky this time.Next time who knows.I just looked max with that powder is 46 grains.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Regardless of what you think they are pull em and dump the powder or toss them. You blew a primer MAJORLY. It's no laughing matter. Coulda been the gun or your eye you damaged. DO NO shoot any more of those.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have to agree with the others, the result of "warm load" or an obstruction in the barrel. The extractor breaking is most likely a result trying to get the bolt open, it wouldn't cause the problem.

At this point you'll need to have a 'smith to have it checked, disassemble the bolt to clean out what was blown inside it, clean up the bolt face, replace the extractor and possibly the ejector and or ejector spring.

Oh, don't shoot any more of that ammo!

Bill

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Occasionally old ammo will corrode. The differing metals between the brass case and copper jacket will get basically fused together. This can cause a spike in pressures. This can cause exactly your issue if the load is at or slightly above max in your gun.

Before you pull the bullets, run a round into the seater slowly. Turn the seater stem in a hair further, like you are trying to seat it deeper. You might feel the extra resistance and even hear a "click" as the bond is broken. If that's the case, that is your problem.

Pull the bullets, recheck the charge weight and reload.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When you get the extractor fixed I would highly recommend having a Sako style extractor installed. If you want more info on the subject give me a call 570-242-9044, I'll be glad to help.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
You received as much good advise anyone could receive on a problem. You was very lucky to lock up that bolt like that there was issues with load. I trust no one elses reloads only use my own. Get that bolt serviced as mentioned by factory ammo or load yourself.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the boxes again. The load was 60gr of 43 50 which is a little above what my manuals recommend.

My father was one to always load a little hot. I do recall when that round went into the chamber it was just a little tighter than the rest of the box. There may have been a headspace issue also.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
One of my friends use that exact load. It is pushing the limits. Pump rifles can not use it, as they stick & very difficult to open. When pushing the upper limits everything must be right or you will have a lot of problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts