The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the best place to buy a Rem 700 short action receiver. I want to get the parts and have a rifle built.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
By a 700 ADL from Walmart, or buy a custom 700 clone. You don't say what the purpose of the rifle is. That would be a big consideration on what route I would take.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best bet right now is a new receiver from Brownells....$449.

Been looking for a cheap rifle for a donor action but it's looking a lot like I can buy the action, barrel and stock separately and spend less money in the long run.
I'm looking for a short action to build either a 308 or 260rem that will be used for long range paper punching.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
RobOz said:
By a 700 ADL from Walmart, or buy a custom 700 clone. You don't say what the purpose of the rifle is. That would be a big consideration on what route I would take.
This is probably the best route to take or else you are going to pay way more than you should.

Alternatively, check you local classifieds or online sources for used guns and pick one up cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
When you get an action look up REM/AGE barrels.You may save a few bucks if you want to.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Go and find a used 700 anything on any used rack, sometimes you can find a beat up old 700 fairly cheap..the action can be cleaned up and blueprinted anyway...it'll be just as good as a new action for way less in the cash department.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been looking for a beater but so far no luck.
So far, Grice looks like my best bet....thanks Drags.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts