The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
i just ordered a lee loader in 38 special, so i can try loading for once and do something with my empties.heres my stupid question though, besides the powder and bullets, what else am i going to need to get started?

thanks
pahunter

·
Registered
661 Posts
Primers, and although I don't think that lee specifies it, some lube for the cases helps out a bit. They're fun to use, but don't plan on bangin out 250 rounds in one session... Also, be careful when you tap the primer in. You'll get the feel for it after seating a couple of primers.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I blew off more than a few primers using Lee loaders. That was how I reloaded my .44 magnums and 30-30's for a long time. There was no danger in giving them one too many hits to seat the primer but it sure did scare me for a moment.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i figured i would start out with the 38 and once i got the hang of it, i would go on to 308 since i use that for deer.

thanks guys

pahunter

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
moosehunter said:
I blew off more than a few primers using Lee loaders.
That would only happen to me ONCE before the unit got thrown away!!

I got one with a bulk lot of dies I bought on E-Bay, but never used it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Get yourself one or more good reloading manuals and read everything up until the load data starts.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I think I would buy the anniversary kit first. It's on sale at cabelas right now for $89.99

My grandfather used the classic loader for years to load 30-06. He also bought the LEE scoopers to try more loads. Eventhough he is the cheapest man that ever lived he did break down and bought an RCBS loading kit 30+ years ago.

If you just want to kill time to make some plinking loads there should be no reason the classic kit won't work for ya. With all the time you spent to make them you could have gotten a part time job to buy all kinds of factory loads. It's a slow process.

There was someone on here awhile back that posted some youtube vidoes on how to use these. I gotta admit that I was a little concerned when he started banging on the primers.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i have a lee loader in .308 and have used it for about 100 total rounds. A lee press was donated to me and i've been using that ever since. more consistent ammo from it. I have to say...bangin away with that hammer and live rounds was kinda relaxing...a little LOL

I only popped one primer. if you follow the directions, the kit is quite safe. pretty consistent too. I need to send mine back though as it will not size winchester brass properly. I think the throat is a little out of spec.

i have never used any lube with my lee loader classic. It's pretty unnecessary. Maybe a touch of sno-seal or mink oil or lanolin on the decapping rod...but other than that, it's all pretty simple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts