The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a lee loader in 38 special, after reading about reloading, i picked out a load i want to use and says the oal is 1.455in. i tried practicing by making a dummy round and have it floatn around 1.454. does it have to be right on the dot with the oal its asking for the load i want to use? seems like its tough for me to get it exact.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
1.454 won't hurt a thing.You just need to sure when you measure powder you don't throw in a double charge if using a powder thrower.Use a loading tray and set all off you powder charged cases in it.Look inside each one,do they look the same?If so your good,if one or more is higher dump and recharge that case with powder.If one is lower dump it and recharge.It happens at times.No one likes to admit it but if someone distracts you it will happen at some point.Always double check when you reload.Your the one shooting the gun.I have 38 cases if you need some and 158 grain hp bullets.I would sell or trade for something I liked.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The OAl is just an approximation. If they don't protruds and contact the barrel you are OK.
when starting to reload, get a manual (RCBS, Hornady, etc) read it twice. Reloading is a fine safe activity. But like driving a car it must be done correctly or it could be dangerous.

I've been reloading over 50 years, I love it. Welcome to an interesting hobby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts