The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys Im just getting into shooting trap and I love it!
I have a lee load all 2 12 gauge shotshell press. Where can I get reasonably cheap components to reload 2 3/4" 7 1/2-9 trap shells? Any tips or tricks?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well...what hulls are you using? You will hafta buy wads that fit your hull. Being new to trap shooting im assuming your shooting from the 16 yard line. Im gonna be honest with you here, I enjoy reloading but with the current price of components plus your time you may as well go buy a case of rios from pm supply. I use the 3 dram equiv with 1 ⅛ of 8 shot. You get a 10 box case for about $60 and from the 16 there is no difference between them and federal gold metals or any of the other higher priced shells. If you still wanna reload you can pm me and ill help you to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Scratch that 1&8538 my phone put it there and for some reason i cant edit it. Its supposed to say 1 1/8 ounce of 8 shot

·
Banned
1,072 Posts
clearfield12 said:
Where can I get reasonably cheap components to reload 2 3/4" 7 1/2-9 trap shells? Any tips or tricks?
Sadly, as we all know, the days of "reasonably priced" are gone.

However, there are a few corners you can cut without affecting anything.

First is wads. Skip the Win or Rem brands. I shoot Claybusters at about half the cost. There are others as well. Just look for "AA clones" and you'll find replacements for the big name brands.

Another, though harder, place is in shot. That's really the killer right now. I hesitate to shoot reclaimed shot. I could've just bought tons (literally) of it, but passed. Some is quite good, others not so much, and some is downright terrible. I'm not risking my bores to something like that. However, there are still a handful of guys that will take reclaimed shot, melt it down, and remanufacture fresh shot out of it. Cheaper than the big name bagged stuff, but price and quality vary, along with the trouble of finding a small operation that still does it.

An obvious area is hulls. You can go to your local club and likely scrounge all the hulls you need for free. Look for Win AA, Rem STS, or Rem Gun Club hulls. Skip the rest. Those mentioned are the universal hulls, that everybody makes components (wads) for, and that you can find load data everywhere.

Compare powders. A few recent entries in the powder field are designed to offer more loads per dollar. Use those and you'll stretch your money as well.

I still reload. Yes, it's not nearly as cost effective as it once was, but it IS still cheaper, and for a better quality shell. I use rainy evenings, or bitter cold winter days, to just load up hundreds at a time. It doesn't take long to put a season's worth on the shelf, in time that wasn't otherwise useful.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maul said:
Well...what hulls are you using? You will hafta buy wads that fit your hull. Being new to trap shooting im assuming your shooting from the 16 yard line. Im gonna be honest with you here, I enjoy reloading but with the current price of components plus your time you may as well go buy a case of rios from pm supply. I use the 3 dram equiv with 1 ⅛ of 8 shot. You get a 10 box case for about $60 and from the 16 there is no difference between them and federal gold metals or any of the other higher priced shells. If you still wanna reload you can pm me and ill help you to the best of my ability.
What is PM Supply?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Two peice hulls such as rio's, estates and a few others shouldn't be reloaded. One piece such as federal gold metals, AA's and nitros are fine. There are others that can and others that can't these just seem to be the most popular. PM supply is in ebensburg, look them up online and call ahead of time if you are gonna go. Seems they can't keep to many things on the shelves these days. Also, if you are gonna reload watch what primers you buy. European Hulls have a slightly bigger primer so you hafta use a European primer to reload them.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"One piece such as federal gold metals, AA's and nitros are fine."

How many times can a shell like these be reloaded safely?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Your gonna get alotta varying opinions on that one. I dont mess around or take any chances so i do 3 max, but some guys will tell you a dozen or more.

·
Banned
1,072 Posts
clearfield12 said:

It depends on powder, charge, etc, (some are hotter/harder on hulls than others), and some hulls are more durable than others, but I load them till the crimp starts to split.

I'd guess I probably get 6-8 loads on a hull without too much trouble. They're sooty and dirty looking, but as long as they hold a tight crimp, I shoot 'em.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
clearfield12 said:

I load them until the crimps split. Sometimes 10 times sometimes 5 times.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If you can't find hulls at your trap range find the nearest sporting clays range. That's my new favorite for stocking up on hulls. You'd be amazed how many people buy AA super handicap or nitro27's factory and leave the empties.

As said earlier, no way around the price of the rest of the components except wads. I'm going to start loading reclaimed shot I'm getting from a guy I work with when my good stuff is gone. No choice to keep the price down where it's feasible verses buying factory.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I can't believe nobody has mentioned it...
I do so only because some lurker might be reading this.
everyone has gotten way ahead of the wagon

get a reloading manual like lymans 5th edition
and
get a good powder scale

·
Registered
180 Posts
twistedoak said:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned it...
I do so only because some lurker might be reading this.
everyone has gotten way ahead of the wagon

get a reloading manual like lymans 5th
edition

Take this advice

and
get a good powder scale

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
you can tell a hull is 2 piece with a flashlight. look inside, 95 % of the 2 piece hulls will have a different color base wad. when I reloaded I liked win AA and rem blue magic hulls

·
Registered
689 Posts
I hope you have a good book. The Lyman Shotshell reloading book is decent. You have a lot of good questions. Asking them randomly may not be the best way to learn the technical aspects. As where to get components at best prices these guys can give you the best info that changes weekly.
Remember people load there own for many reasons. Saving some cash is one. Even though it is tougher than years ago. You can get much better quality ammo for a cheaper price. If you want to reload 1oz. or 7/8th oz. custom loads you can save a bunch more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts