The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have a load worked up that pushes a 100 grain pill around 3300fps? Basically I want to start reloading(but don't really have the space and or time), and am planning on loading nosler partitions. My gun shoots the hornady trophy grade load well, but I hate spending 50 bux a box for ammo! Thats the only factory load I can find that shoots a 100 grain bullet around that speed, that is loaded with a good bullet. If I could find another factory load with those same specs, that is decently priced I would shoot it. Even better if anyone wants to load up some for me, I'll supply the components, and a little extra cash for your time. That will save me buying the dies/shells holder etc.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
The Rem. 100gr Core Lokt is supposedly around 3200fps at the muzzle. Federal loads the 100gr Btip and 100gr Barnes, both of which should get close to 3300 or above?

My own 100gr Btip loads are pretty close to 3300 on paper, from a 24" barrel, but I've never chronied them. Trajectory-wise, they fit the paper ballistics to a T, out to 400+ yards.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All three of those loads, the core lokt, and the federal barnes and b-tip are right around 3200. The core lokt and the b-tip I'm just a tad leery about using, in case they would come apart completely, and not leave an exit. I know I don't need an exit if I completely destroy the lungs, but I'm a fan of having a hole on both sides of what I shoot. The barnes loading would be fine, but again, it's close to 50 bucks a box. Ideally what I'm looking for is a load with a bullet that will punch through both sides no matter what it hits(like an accubond, tsx, or partition) but that only costs around 30-35 bucks a box. With the price of premium bullets, it seems as that may be an elusive thing to find in a factory load. The one loading that did catch my eye was the new superformance load from hornady. They make two offerings in 25-06, one of which is loaded with a 110gr gmx bullet. I can't find any posted ballistics for it yet, but I'm guessing it should be around the 3300 mark, 3200 at the minimum. Retail looks like it should be around 30 bux a box, but I can't find it in stock ANYWHERE! It could be the answer to my quest, if I could ever find a box to buy anywhere.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I just found them, supposedly in stock at cabelas online(not in the catolog). But they list them as being 100 gr gmx loads for 35.99. The Hornady site says they load 110 gr gmx bullets in the superformance 25-06. And midway usa has them in thier master catalog for 29.99 for 100 gr, but they don't list them at all online. Midsouth shooters supply lists the gmx in 110 gr for 29.99, but they are on backorder. Im confused!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Borden, head to elk county ammo and arms in st. marys, I picked up a box in .243 and 7mm mag and I'm pretty sure they had em in 25-06.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
If you have other centerfires, and like to shoot premium bullets in them as well, id take a hard look into reloading yourself....

Accubonds for the 35 whelen are 50+ a box....I'm loading them for less than half that...and that's using good stuff and producing very nice loads...

22 and 30 cal bullets are cheaper....ammo generally is too...but, I will still save bunches....my loading equipment, which is all good quality stuff, is probably near half paid for already....from what I saved just by shooting and loading for the whelen....

I too thought I had no space....I keep it all in storage drawers on wheels...mounted the press and trimmer on a bench that can be removed in a minute or two need be....

Time...well, it doesn't take super long...and I do a bit of case prep...weigh charges by hand etc...still takes some time...but, not tons of it....

I'm glad I started...saving money and more accurate and consistent loads....

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm seriously considering it. All the stuff(press, case tumbler, etc.)is just sitting unused in my dad's basement. All I really need to buy are bullets, primers, powder, and the dies n shell holders, and I'd be up and running. It's definately going to happen in the future, but right now, I'm liking the convenience of buying a box and heading to the range. Plus the fact that I live less than a mile from grice's and bob's army and navy has me spoiled

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Borden811 said:
Plus the fact that I live less than a mile from grice's and bob's army and navy has me spoiled
You lucky dog, I'm jealous. I made it to Grices for the first time last year. Man I love that place, especially the used gun rack selection. I heard about Bobs after I was there, so that will be the excuse to wifey for the return trip this year--I goota see Bobs.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
Borden811 said:
I'm seriously considering it. All the stuff(press, case tumbler, etc.)is just sitting unused in my dad's basement. All I really need to buy are bullets, primers, powder, and the dies n shell holders, and I'd be up and running. It's definately going to happen in the future, but right now, I'm liking the convenience of buying a box and heading to the range. Plus the fact that I live less than a mile from grice's and bob's army and navy has me spoiled
I sold a 25-06 but I think I still have the dies and a few boxes of different bullets laying around.If I do,you can have them if you feel like making the short trip to my house.I'm not sure if I let them go with the gun but I'll check tonight.I have to get rid of some stuff so,they're yours for free if I still have them.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you are a busy guy, and do not have time for reloading, or just do not want to do it. But you want to save some money, because you are wasting your money on the ridiculously priced premium bullets and ammo. Then there is a simple thing to do. Trade that 25-06 for a 30-06. Then go and buy the Wally World cheap 150 grain ammo. No worry about penetration, or killing power, or anything else. Just go pick up the deer!! No way I am buying those ridiculously priced bullets and ammo just to save a little recoil. Tom.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already have an 06, and I love shooting my 300RUM. Recoil isn't the problem. I just wanted a 25-06. And now, I just want the best load I can find for it. That's all

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DCE, let me know. The trip to the lake isn't a problem. I'll give ya a few bucks for it if ya still have them, or I'll trade ya something. I've got a lot of stuff laying around!

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
For anyone that shoots a box or two of ammo per year, reloading probably isn't a good choice.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Denny's right on. i love my rum but 25.06 is one sweet round. load your own or maybe a friend will for you. lots of guys love to reload and wish they had some to load sometimes. Never stray from what you love...later

1 - 15 of 15 Posts